A-Shell Network Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A-Shell Network » ATE & ATS » ATE Preferences Ad-Hoc checkbox in Preferences dialog

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ATE Preferences Ad-Hoc checkbox in Preferences dialog
Stephen Funkhouser
Senior Developer
Member # 301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Funkhouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to enable "allow ad-hoc connection" in ATE, but when I click on the control (or tab to it) it just disappears until I move focus to another control. Effectively, not allowing this option to be enabled via the dialog.

Also, what value=attrib pairs can be passed in the command line. Are the value= side supposed to match the registry values?

P.S. I found the EnableNR value in the registry that allowed me to turn on "allow ad-hoc connectoin" without the dialog

[ October 13, 2017, 11:01: Message edited by: Stephen Funkhouser ]

--------------------
Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions

From: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack McGregor
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack McGregor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Livingstone I presume?

(I fear you must have been wandering for a long time beyond the perimeter of ATE civilization to have come up with such questions.)

The "Allow ad-hoc connection" option is a long-forgotten bit of the ATE genetic code that somehow has survived all these years without having much of a purpose. The original idea was simple enough back in the plain telnet environment, where perhaps all you needed to initiate a connection was an IP address. But in these modern times it's hard to imagine establishing a useful application-level connection to a server without a few more configuration parameters. I'm not sure that anyone ever used it. Or missed it. Or, for that matter, when the UI for it broke.

You can bypass the broken UI and manually set the \HKCU\Software\MicroSabio\JBCT\ATE\Settings\EnableNR entry to 1, after which the drop-down selection box will allow you to type an IP address. But it's not clear how that would be very useful without many of the other configuration settings.

I suppose that in an environment where a single configuration will suffice, with all of the configuration options remaining fixed except the IP address, then the idea might still make sense. But a more elegant solution to that situation would be to create a custom ATE login dialog (which ATE does support), in which you might offer a more user-friendly list of possible target addresses.

Now that we have the URL scheme, which allows you to pass virtually all of the configuration parameters on the command line in "attrib=value" pairs, that's probably a better way to approach the objective of generating a dynamic configuration.

The format for the URL is:

code:
ashell-ate:{cfgname}/attrib=value{...&attrib=value}

For example:

code:
ashell-ate:/address=1.2.3.4&transport=ssh&sshport=51122&loginname=jack

If no {cfgname} is given, it creates a temporary configuration and populates it with the rest of the given attrib=value pairs. Otherwise, it starts with the specified configuration and overwrites parts of it with the specified pairs. (I don't recommend that mode as I'm not sure it has been fully fleshed out; if you want to experiment with it, I suggest starting with a copy of an existing configuration.) In any case, don't quote anything in the URL (hopefully none of the fields contain literal "&" or "/" characters).

As for the attrib names, yes, they are all the same ones you can find in the registry values (not case sensitive).

Note that the ashell-ate: prefix identifies a custom URL scheme (parallel to http:, ftp:, mailto:, etc.) that gets defined by the ATE installer. So you an execute that as a URL within a browser, or from any shell-execute prompt (like Start > Run).

From: Woodland Hills, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Funkhouser
Senior Developer
Member # 301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Funkhouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is specifically for our development machines.

We're implementing a new server connection management program that allows to share configuration for SSH, RDP, etc.

I was testing the idea of using that shared configuration to launch ATE without having to maintain the ATE configs separately. I think we may end up creating ATE configs, and update the registry values automatically from the shared connection data. This will allow having different colors per config via the .ash file.

Thank you for the information

--------------------
Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions

From: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Visit our main website at www.microsabio.com