A-Shell Network Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» A-Shell Network » A-Shell 6.0 » File name truncation during copy Operation!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: File name truncation during copy Operation!
Frank
Senior Developer
Member # 73

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Frank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a directory that contained files with names longer than 10 characters. I used ashell copy command (as oppose to linux) to copy these files to another directory and it truncated the names down to 10 digits. [Eek!]

Is this by design? Should ashell even attempt the copy? or warn if this is the case?

[ February 18, 2014, 14:44: Message edited by: Frank - edgeMED Healthcare ]

From: USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack McGregor
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack McGregor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to enclose in double-quotes any filespecs that are not 10.3 compatible. For example:

code:
.COPY "/vm/miame/some directory/this is a long filename.dat" = shortname.dat

.COPY shortname.dat = "/vm/miame/some directory/this is a long filename.dat"

.COPY "/this is one/long file name.dat" = "/another/long file name.dat"

This technique should work any place you use a filespec within a program (e.g. OPEN, LOOKUP, etc.) and also on the command line of any LIT command that supports wildcards, plus a few that don't, such as VUE and TYPE. (See Native Filespecs, which I located in the documentation index under File > specs).
From: Woodland Hills, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank
Senior Developer
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i get the program specific filespecs, i guess i expected the operating system environment to protect me from myself...
From: USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack McGregor
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack McGregor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with native specs in LIT arguments is that they may look like switches, so the quoting was required to preserve compatibility with existing syntax.
From: Woodland Hills, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Visit our main website at www.microsabio.com