Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
XTREE Images #36507 14 Aug 23 03:33 PM
J
Joe Leibel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have a situation that I think some of yyou have experience with. I have an xtree with a few hundred rows and most rows have an image. The images are on a cloud server that we telnet into. C:\wamp64\www\ka\images\524\small\.....jpg. I set the program so it copies each JPG to the client using XCALL ATEAPX into %ATECACHE% but since there may be a few hundred of these that takes some time.

I have seen a provision for copy if needed using AUI'IMAGE but haven't seen it in XTREE.
I don't think I can display the images from the server. I believe the image has to be on the Client PC.
I don't think I can use LOOKUP somehow to see if it is already in ATECACHE so I can skip the copy.
I tried displaying the image via www.company.com\images\524\small\...jpg but that failed. I am not sure why and even if it worked I can't imagine it being any faster.
There are thousands of these files so that eliminates some other ideas.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Re: XTREE Images [Re: Joe Leibel] #36508 14 Aug 23 10:05 PM
S
Stephen Funkhouser Online Content
Online Content
S
Hi Joe,

First you don't want to use the ATECACHE directory because it gets cleared when ate exits. There is a variation ATECACHE60 (I think that's what it's called). That saves files for 60 days.

Second is using the V2 switch with ATEAPX will cause it to use one connection for all the transfers instead of one connection per file. This will be much faster.

There's also the AG_FTPSYNC function which is what ATEAPX uses, but you can specific the files to be syncs instead of the entire directory. If only 100 of 1000 images are in the XTREE no need to transfer/check them all.

Last edited by Stephen Funkhouser; 14 Aug 23 10:35 PM.

Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions
Re: XTREE Images [Re: Joe Leibel] #36509 14 Aug 23 11:32 PM
J
Jack McGregor Offline
J
You have me both intrigued and baffled by the ATECACHE60 reference. It sounds like a great idea, but I can't find any mention of it in the code. The APEX directory has a configurable retention option, but I'm not aware of such an intermediate option in between ATECACHE (cleared when the last ATE session on the client PC exits) and ATEPERMCACHE (never cleared automatically). I wonder if you set up your ATEPERMCACHE environment variable to point to \ATECACHE60 and the implemented your own utility to delete files older than 60 days? Or maybe it was, or should be added to ATSYNC?

On the AG_FTPSYNC and /V2, I think you meant ATSYNC (not ATEAPX). As you say though, ATSYNC can do a lot better job of transferring just the files you need to update. The standard ATSYNC.LIT is of course easiest to use in a command file, but there is also an ATSYNC.SBX that can be used from the program, just prior to your XCALL XTREE to transfer all the thumbnails needed.

Re: XTREE Images [Re: Joe Leibel] #36510 15 Aug 23 12:39 AM
S
Stephen Funkhouser Online Content
Online Content
S
I didn't implement ATECACHE60, I thought I saw it in the docs a couple of weeks ago. Apparently not.

P.S. After searching I found a reference in a future Conference topics note.

Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions
Re: XTREE Images [Re: Joe Leibel] #36511 15 Aug 23 01:06 AM
J
Jack McGregor Offline
J
Ahh - that makes sense now! I have some more tinkering to do with the webcache feature; tying it in with a more complete set of options for loading XTREE images from the web may make sense. You may have to show up at the Conference to get the full scoop.

Re: XTREE Images [Re: Joe Leibel] #36512 15 Aug 23 12:21 PM
J
Joe Leibel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I will try your suggestions and let you know. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you at the conference.

I especially appreciate the non-existent ATECACHE60 feature. I was wondering what to do after a year or so when their PCs started filling up and that sounds like the perfect non-existent solution.

Re: XTREE Images [Re: Joe Leibel] #36513 15 Aug 23 02:33 PM
J
Joe Leibel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
ATSYNC worked great. Thanks.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin