Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
EMAILX.SBR for AMOS #11550 28 Jun 01 11:14 AM
J
Jack McGregor Offline OP
OP Offline
J
For those of you who have expressed interest in using the EMAILX subroutine (for sending email direct from AlphaBasic) but were held back by the absence of such a subroutine for AMOS, you may be interested to hear that we have made a commitment to one of our dealers (who is funding the development) to create EMAILX.SBR for AMOS. Here's how it will work:

You'll need AlphaTCP (but no special email services on the AMOS side.) You'll also need a (discounted) copy of A-Shell/Windows that will run in slave mode on a PC somewhere on the network to act as a gateway. EMAILX.SBR on the Alpha will actually forward the request to this PC, which will in turn use the existing EMAILX.SBX to forward the mail to an SMTP server which is visible from that PC (either via a direct network connection or a dial-up link.)

Admittedly this is slightly more complicated that just having the EMAILX.SBR do the job itself, but eliminates porting all of the code and then maintaining two separate versions, and it also allows you to use a Windows-based dial-up connection for email which would have been unreachable from the Alpha.

If you are interested in this and have any comments, suggestions, requirements, etc., please reply to this message, since I haven't started the programming yet (as of 28-June-2001.) I expect the routine to be completed by sometime in August.

Re: EMAILX.SBR for AMOS #11551 13 Jul 01 09:52 AM
J
Joe Leibel Offline
J
Wow! That is a great idea. Let me know when you have it done.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin