Manual, Rev E02.

The problem. I can't test directly on my system, as I don't have
the same printer. I'm printing from LINUX using lpr through a WINNT
machine that has the printer connected on the parallel port. I'm
pausing the printer and looking at file contents in the
\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINTERS\ directory. The embedded PCL commands are
in the data file, but nothing from the prefix string. There's a related
header file, but I think that file is for control only and would not
(and I've verified does not) contain any PCL commands.

Any ideas where my problem may lay?

Re: PREFIX problem #1280 29 Jan 03 03:09 PM
J
Jack McGregor Offline
J
I'm guessing that you are using the XCALL SPOOL "New Format", i.e.:

Code
MAP1 FILE,S,32
MAP1 TABLE
        MAP2 PRINTER,S,6
        MAP2 CPU,F,6
        MAP2 SWITCHES,F,6
        MAP2 COPIES,F,6
        MAP2 BANNER,S,50
        MAP2 LPP,F,6
        MAP2 WIDTH,F,6
        MAP2 FORMS,S,6
        MAP2 PRI,F,6
        MAP2 ADATE,B,4
        MAP2 ATIME,B,4
        MAP2 RESTART,F,6
        MAP2 START,F,6
        MAP2 FINISH,F,6
        MAP2 LIMIT,F,6
        MAP2 OPTIONS,F,6
        MAP2 SEQNO,F,6
        MAP2 COUNT,F,6
        MAP2 ITCERR,F,6
        MAP2 NONITC,F,6
        MAP2 FILERR,F,6
        MAP2 EXTOPT,F,6
        MAP2 PREFIX,S,28
        MAP2 SUFFIX,S,28

XCALL SPOOL,FILE,PRINTER

(Note that XCALL SPOOL is equivalent to XCALL EZSPL, since SPOOL is implemented as an ALIAS to EZSPL.)

I just tried this myself and it appears to be a bug.

However, you can also specify the "Old Format", and that does work:

Code
XCALL SPOOL, FILE, PRINTER, SWITCHES, COPIES, FORM &
          LPP, WIDTH, PREFIX, SUFFIX

I'll look into fixing the bug in the next update, but it you want a more immediate solution, I suggest using the old format shown above.

Another alternative would be to create multiple spooler init files, each specifying a different PREFIX= statement. Note that when PREFIX or SUFFIX is specified (and non-null) in the XCALL SPOOL statement, they should override the setting in the printer init file.

Here are a couple of debugging suggestions:

Use SET TRACE LP ON. The displaying tracing information will allow you to see if the prefix and suffix are being processed. Under UNIX/LINUX, the relevant parts of the tracing display would look something like:

Code
Trace: Prefix: test.pfx[150,277], Suffix: test.sfx[150,277]  
Trace: concatenating...                                      
Trace: /vm/miame/dsk0/150277/test.pfx to /vm/miame/tskaaa.005
Trace: /vm/miame/dsk0/150277/xx.lst to /vm/miame/tskaaa.005  
Trace: /vm/miame/dsk0/150277/test.sfx to /vm/miame/tskaaa.005

Under Windows, you'll still see the first line indicating the name of the prefix and suffix files, if applicable, but you won't see the concatenation lines because A-Shell/Windows sends the file(s) directly to the printer device driver (so there's no need for a temporary file.)

Under UNIX/Linux, you could then just examine the temporary file directly to see if your prefix is there. The temporary file is then passed to the lpr command to print.

Under Windows, you could change the output device of the printer driver to FILE: if you wanted to be able to examine the output directly.

Finally, remember that under UNIX/Linux, the OPR:SPOOL.LOG file will show details about the spool commands issued, along with any error messages that would have been displayed by the lpr command.

Re: PREFIX problem #1281 29 Jan 03 06:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, this is more confusing, but I'm close to getting the results I want. First, I read but then forgot that PREFIX and SUFFIX are file specs, not the actual printer codes to be executed. Seems to make it more complex, but then there can be no carping about ONLY 28 bytes that way. So, I changed my program to follow directions.

what I found was that it doesn't work with the OLD format, but does indeed work with the NEW format, which seems to the opposite to Jack's findings. Hmmm!

Now to get rid of the end of line character in my prefix file that vue adds automatically, and I think I'm home...

Re: PREFIX problem #1282 29 Jan 03 06:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All is working, but I'd like to add a request that PREFIX and SUFFIX fields allow for the actual codes to be executed, as an alternative to specifying disk files that contain the codes. That would keep things simpler in my case, and eliminate the need for yet more disk files to be managed.

Re: PREFIX problem #1283 29 Jan 03 10:33 PM
J
Jack McGregor Offline
J
I'm not sure what to make of the question of which method works and which doesn't. (Suffice to say some more testing and possibly debugging is in order here...)

As for the idea of allowing you to put the actual codes into the 28 byte PREFIX or SUFFIX parameters passed to SPOOL, I'm not sure that I understand how this would simplify things. As it is unlikely that you'd want to hardcode those strings into your program, it would seem that you'd have to store them somewhere in a file. Granted, you might have one big file with all of your printer code information in it, but it doesn't seem to me that much more complicated to store a series of prefix/suffix files in the ASHCFG: directory along with your printer init files. Note that if you used the approach of creating multiple printer init files which themselves specified the prefix/suffix files, then your application wouldn't need to explicitly deal with the issue at all. (Of course that creates even more file proliferation!) (On the other hand, that's a very UNIX-like approach to configuration parameters.)

Putting that aside, and ignoring for the moment the limitation of the existing 28 byte field sizes and question of how to distinguish between a string of printer codes and a filespec, it would seem that if you could do it in the PREFIX/SUFFIX parameters passed in XCALL SPOOL, you ought to be able to do it in the PREFIX= and SUFFIX= parameters in the printer init files as well. The problem I have with that is what syntax to allow. If one was to embed raw ESC sequences in the printer init file, that would make them inconvenient to print or otherwise manipulate. Other possibilities are hex octets, or C-style "escaped" characters. Each of these requires more documentation, coding/parsing, and testing than seems ideal just to avoid additional files. But I'll consider it.

Finally, on the matter of the trailing CRLF that VUE seems to insist on, I have little doubt that removing it would interfere with someone else's designs. My suggestion would be to create the files using a simple utility program rather than VUE.

Re: PREFIX problem #1284 30 Jan 03 11:10 AM
J
Jack McGregor Offline
J
After taking another look at my test program, I saw that it wasn't working with the "new format" XCALL SPOOL because of a typo in my test program. So at this point I say that it works as documented in both formats, and can only assume that you must have had a corresponding typo in your test program which prevented the old format from working.

Re: PREFIX problem #1285 01 Feb 03 05:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry for all the fuss. All is working fine using the new format, and I'm "in production." As for embedding the actual printer codes in the prefix and suffix fields, it was just a random thought that seemed reasonable to me at the time I was coding, but on balance the existing scheme provides greater flexibility and the benefit of my off-hand request, if there is any, is certainly not worth the cost of implementation. Sail on! Thanks for the comments. It was nice having just the feature needed in ASHELL when I needed it.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin