Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Security #25797 23 Feb 11 09:43 AM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Oh no Jack... looks like the boys over at Symantec have it out for you... anything to make a buck. I should say that after saying "no thanks" it gave me the RED X OF DEATH asking if i was perfectly sure i didn't want to rid my pc of this dreaded threat.

[Linked Image]

Re: Security #25798 23 Feb 11 11:23 AM
J
Jack McGregor Offline
J
I knew it would eventually come to this - the convergence of the Mafia and Antivirus gangs in the pay-for-protection racket.

Seriously, ashico1.dll hasn't changed in some years, so unless the hash code has changed mysteriously, this would suggest they've been a little slow to trap this dangerous threat. To check the hash code, from within ATE, use File > Open Local Session, then use DIR/H, e.g.

Code
.DIR/H "c:\ate\bin\ashico1.dll"
           0   177-526-501-701
(If that's not what you have, you should probably to a fresh install of ATE into a separate directory and test it again there, as some new icons may have been added since your custom build.)

As for the ashw32.exe, when you right click on it and pick properties, does it show a digital signature?

I probably should add a digital signature to the ashico1.dll module, but ashw32.exe has carried one for several years, and several of the third-party DLLs don't have them, so I doubt that is the issue here. Probably I just wasn't here when Luigi Norton came to collect my monthly fee.

Re: Security #25799 23 Feb 11 01:22 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Indeed, things must be getting rough in this economy!

Yes, there is a digital signature here, but that's not the problem... here's the best part...

I was trying to save a little space and the screenshot above is not quite clear, but apparently, they have now cooked up something called a "Trust Level", and the trust level for ashw32.exe is "Unknown" and "Poor" for ashico1.dll.

I wonder that the program would have done if i actually "FIXED" this.. can't wait for an end user to get there hands on this!

So now, not only do you have to pay off the Microsoft mafia, but also the Norton gustapo!!

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin