Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chrome #27645 02 Oct 08 10:11 AM
Ty Griffin Offline OP
OP Offline
Have you tried out "Chrome," the new browser from Google?

It's not perfect, and amusingly doesn't work all that well with Google Docs, but it's pretty nice. Fast.

One interesting and actually quite useful thing about it is that when you open a new tab (which you do instead of opening a new instance), all the recent pages you've been to are displayed in that window in "large thumbnail" form, and you just click the one you want to go to a refreshed version of that page. Quite cool.

I don't know if Google has achieved its objective of bullet-proof reliability, and making Chrome crash-proof by running individual pages as fully independent Windows processes, but it seems pretty solid.

And it's fast.

You can read the official Google press/public release, in the form of a somewhat corny comic book, here: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/ (I made it about halfway through)

Re: Chrome #27646 02 Oct 08 10:17 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
Yes Ty been using since 'beta' day 1 and its the speed I like, cant think ive had too many issues with it right now, they may need to work on the "3rd party cookie setting" a little for Beta 2, but apart from that, nice clean, sleek and fast, but ive not tried Google Docs (what I thought it should of been better for) but Gmail works fine.

lol I like the corny comic book..

Re: Chrome #27647 02 Oct 08 10:24 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
PS.
Steve Gibson on Security Now 161: Chrome is also worth a listen for all your security risks… wink

It can be found here.

Re: Chrome #27648 02 Oct 08 10:37 AM
Ty Griffin Offline OP
OP Offline
I might as well mention Google Docs here also...

Google Docs is Google's attempt at "cloud" processing for basic word processing and spreadsheets (i.e., "office suites"). I don't think that Microsoft has to panic, since Google Docs leaves a lot to be desired in many ways. However, the handwriting is on the wall, and we're likely to all being using GD or something like it within a few years.

However, there is one phenomenal advantage that should inspire anybody and everybody to use Google Docs *IF* you have need for this feature: multiple people can work on a single spreadsheet (or word processing doc).

So if you're SHARING DATA with somebody in an environment where multiple people need write access, Google Docs is tremendous. No more emailing Excel sheets back and forth and wondering if you have the latest version.

I'm actually using Google Docs with several A-Shell resellers to keep track of various kinds of frequently-changing data. The people with whom you share data can have write privileges, or view-only access.

An important feature of Google Docs is quick and easy bi-directional exchange with Excel: import/export is great. I'm kind of a spreadsheet nut, so transferring data back and forth is pretty important for me, and GD does a nice job of it.

I'm a devoted fan and long-time user of MS Office, and I can't imagine doing without Word and Excel. But for shared write access over the internet, Google Docs is pretty nice.

Re: Chrome #27649 17 Apr 09 06:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've used Google Docs and it's good for doc sharing as Ty mentions. I would like to mention something else. Last month I got my 15YO an ASUS EEE for her birthday. She was thrilled, thought it was really cute, and had no trouble with the keyboard. (Me either, with my fat fingers.) I created an iGoogle page for her with Google Docs, Photobucket, g-mail, and she's found some apps for herself. What I saw over the past month is really amazing. She shares documents and did a major Russian history projects with some of her classmates (an Ivan the Terrible comic book) using Photobucket. She's more in the cloud than I am (but that was true before I got her this netbook! :rolleyes: )

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin