Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A-Shell Editor under UNIX #28143 04 Nov 04 10:09 PM
J
Jack McGregor Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The A-Shell Editor is obviously a Windows program and thus will not run on UNIX. However, you should be able to use it on a Windows workstation to edit files residing on a UNIX server. The simplest way to accomplish this will be to set up Samba or some equivalent to allow the Editor to see your source files on the server.

Another approach (but one that would require some further development on our end) would be to have the Editor retrieve files using FTP, as needed, from the server. (One difficulty here would be that in a large project, you might not want to retrieve all your source just to edit a couple of lines, but without all the files present, it would limit some of the most useful features of the Editor.)

Yet another approach would be to maintain your source on a local PC (or network, if sharing among multiple PCs), and just have the Editor send the RUN files to a designated location on the server after a compile. (Then you would just run them via a terminal emulator, as you do now.) ATE already has a wildcard file transfer capability, so you could implement this scheme on your own without any special support in the Editor. (Although it would be nice if the Editor had a hook for pre and post compile external scripts or command line operations.)

Re: A-Shell Editor under UNIX #28144 05 Nov 04 05:54 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
As we would like to keep all the source on the RS6000 I think the first option would be the best (and lucky) we have samba seup and already using it.

Im guess it can understand the different between Unix and DOS/Windows formats with the CR and CR/LF.

Re: A-Shell Editor under UNIX #28145 05 Nov 04 06:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by Steve - Madics:
Im guess it can understand the different between Unix and DOS/Windows formats with the CR and CR/LF.
I assume lines in DOS/Windows files end with CR? Unix normally ends lines with LF, AShell standardized on CR/LF for the Alpha market, and should support all three formats seamlessly. Depending on miame.ini (and perhaps ini.vue) settings conversions between formats are done automatically, but the compiler shouldn't care what you use. I trust the new editor doesn't mind what is used either.

Re: A-Shell Editor under UNIX #28146 05 Nov 04 06:19 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
Thanks Mike, I guessed it took care of it all, just was thinking aloud encase smile

Re: A-Shell Editor under UNIX #28147 05 Nov 04 07:25 AM
S
Steven Shatz Online Content
Online Content
S
I think the Samba approach would be fine when I am working in my office, where both the Linux server and Windows PC (containing the A-Shell Editor) are located. However, when working remotely, the only way I could use the editor would be to establish a relatively slow GoToMyPC, pcAnywhere, or similar connection to the office PC.

Telnet'ing to Linux (as I do now to use VUE) would not give me access to the editor. Short of copying files to the remote PC, is there a way that the A-Shell Editor running on that remote PC could see files on a distant Linux machine?

I also would like the editor to support a Post-Processor hook, as when I compile programs, I use a command file that places the resulting RUN module in the appropriate ppn (among other things). Ideally, one could just substitute a command file for the Compile command.