Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
invalid characters - “smartquotes” in this case #30604 01 Jun 11 06:48 AM
D
Dominic - Madics Systems Ltd Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Our ATE input boxes accept smart quotes when pasted in from Word, which one customer has done for some product descriptions. These are causing display issues when re-displayed as in the fixed width font (they disappear in some cases), which are non-critical but when 10 looks like 100 because the display has shifted over to the left, it is a bit disturbing for the user!

If anyone knows if this is a common configuration or program problem that would be great.

Re: invalid characters - “smartquotes” in this case #30605 01 Jun 11 10:53 AM
J
Jack McGregor Offline
J
I suspect the problem here is related to CHARSET or the symbol set option on the FONT specification.

I think you need CHARSET=LATIN1, and to specify the ANSI option for the symbol set with your font in order to display 'smart' or 'curly' quotes in non-GUI mode. Without LATIN1, you're basically in 7 bit mode. And although both OEM and ANSI symbol sets support most or all of the typical accented characters, the OEM set does not include some of the more exotic ones like the smart/curly quotes.

I vaguely recall that you guys didn't use CHARSET=LATIN1, which I thought was actually necessary for GUI click-string support (since the lead-in sequence uses an 8 bit character), but somehow it worked for you. Changing it at this point might affect the display of existing data though (assuming you have 8 bit characters stored in fields).

Unfortunately, there is no obvious way for INFLD in GUI mode to know whether the data you're inputting will ever be displayed in a more limited font/character set, so automatically filtering the input doesn't seem possible. But we could add a TYPE code to force it to convert common 8-bit characters to 7-bit approximate-equivalents. Although if you use your own INFLD wrapper, then perhaps adding the problem-character detection/conversion logic to it would make as much sense.

Let me know what you think.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin