Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GDI and Overlay file #1128 08 Jun 15 08:44 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline OP
OP Offline
We have had a customer who would like to remove the need to keep expensive pre-printed stationary and instead have Madics use an imagine to go under any printed documents (eg. Invoices, Despatch Notes)

This is very much what we do already using PDF-X and the //PDFX,Overlay.file command, but instead it would need to do it when we print a GDI file.

I've found a GDI Overlay option but that looks like you need to write and build the template using GDI to start with rather than use an imagine a customer could supply us.

Any thoughts if possible...?

(Currently my only thought would be use PDF-X in background and then print the PDF and delete it, but printing PDF's always leave this larger border etc around it and never as nice looking as a file direct printed.)

Re: GDI and Overlay file #1129 08 Jun 15 10:22 AM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content
Online Content
J
Hi Steve,
Do you use xcall spool, or ezspl, to print?
If so, you can define an overlay file as an argument of the printing command or, even define it in the printer ini.
Check all the details here:
http://www.microsabio.net/dist/doc/conref/00ashref.htm#!ezsploldformat1.htm

Have fun

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: GDI and Overlay file #1130 08 Jun 15 12:09 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
You can use a scanned image as your background (although it would have to be invoked either via a //IMAGE command at the start of each page, or by putting it in the overlay file as Jorge suggests.)

See the topic Generating forms on demand for some discussion about tricks for lining up the text with the image.

Last edited by Ty Griffin; 16 Aug 19 12:01 AM.
Re: GDI and Overlay file #1131 08 Jun 15 02:59 PM
F
Frank Online Content
Online Content
F
Steve - I can concur that's what i do with a pre-scanned insurance form here. Then just marry that with the data. In my case the form is a png image file not sure that matters.

Re: GDI and Overlay file #1132 09 Jun 15 10:26 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline OP
OP Offline
Cheers Guys! I'll take a look and have a play!

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin