Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Compil on Ubuntu (Debian) #11493 06 Nov 18 02:46 AM
S
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Have you ever considered compiling Compil on a Debian based system, or possibly compiling it as 'statically linked', which might (possibly) allow it to run without furher changes?

I ask as this might be another option to get a console based version of compil that could be used on a Windows system (via the Windows subsystem for Linux WSL), which uses an Ubuntu based subsystem.

Re: Compil on Ubuntu (Debian) #11494 06 Nov 18 10:00 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
We have actually done Ubuntu versions from time to time, generally on demand. One possible problem with Ubuntu is that the rate of change (in terms of numbered versions) seems higher than for RHEL/CentOS. The last one I did (which didn't seem that long ago) was for Ubuntu 13 (and now we're up to 18).

But, it's generally a pretty easy operation and I'm happy to do it. Just tell me which version you're interested in.

As for static linking, for years we did a static linked version (dubbed "generic"), motivated by the same reasoning you suggest. And I think it was successful, at least within a distance between the compile/link environment and the runtime environment. But then we had a few incidents where version such discrepancies led to harder-to-diagnose, or otherwise nastier-than-usual problems, at least compared to the what normally happens in those situations with the dynamic-linked version (i.e., generally it won't load at all because of a library linking failure). And I guess that soured me on the theory of a static-linked executable being more stable or resilient.

But it's a simple linker option switch, so if you want to experiment with it under WSL, I'll be happy to release a static version.

I haven't played with the WSL yet, but perhaps that would be a good place to start!

Re: Compil on Ubuntu (Debian) #11495 07 Nov 18 02:48 AM
S
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ultimately, what I'm interested in is a version of COMPIL that will operate as a 'console' app on a Windows hosted sytem.

Consequently, it would either have to be a version of the Windows COMPIL program modified to run as a console app, or a Linux version of COMPIL that can run in WSL.

I'm happy to explore all solutions but don't wish to generate any extra complications or effort on your part.

Currently, WSL is based on Ubuntu 18.04. Let's try the easiest/simplest option for you first, static linking or Debian compilation, and then see how that works. If not, then we can try the alternative option.

Re: Compil on Ubuntu (Debian) #11496 07 Nov 18 10:11 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Ok, it's on the list.

Re: Compil on Ubuntu (Debian) #11497 07 Nov 18 05:39 PM
S
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hold off doing anything for now, thank you.

I hadn't seen your post (Running compil as a background process) regarding the Windows compiler, before adding the post above about the Debian/Ubuntu version.

If the Windows version can operate as a console app as you have indicated, then I don't think the Debian version will be required.

Last edited by Ty Griffin; 16 Aug 19 03:47 PM.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin