Next Thread
Print Thread
APRNTSCRN refinements #1223 03 Jul 19 06:51 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J

(From Ty)...
Two low-priority issues to address/fix in A-Shell Screen Capture.

1. I don't know if "Print Screen" or "Screen Capture" is the better terminology, but I do believe that using one of them is better than using both. Currently, File Menu option is "Print Screen" and dialog box title is "A-Shell Screen Capture." (Later: I guess going with "Screen Capture" is better, otherwise the "print" dialog would have to be changed to read "Print the Print Screen.")

2. When using the email option, the "Notes" (from dialog box) are automatically entered into the email "Subject" field--but are truncated after not too many characters. (40 to be precise.)

I believe the "Notes" function is a good intention that can't be quite properly implemented. Not sure what I'm suggesting here, except that we might be better off just eliminating "Notes" rather than trying to accommodate both email subject and body of message.

3. This is not a change, just a question/observation: Not sure the "refresh" button serves any purpose, since the screen is automatically refreshed with all changes to "Source" and "Image Attributes."
I'll resist the urge to tell my "two most insidious problems in computer programming" joke here (but in case anyone has forgotten, the punchline is "And three, off by one errors").

Beyond that I haven't yet had a chance to think much about the above (further proof that customer-reported issues get higher priority than in-house-reported issues), and would have been tempted to leave this as an in-house suggestion, but since there is now another APRNTSCRN issue percolating on the thread APRNTSCRN issue, I figured I might as well post this as a place to collect any other related suggestions before digging into it.

Last edited by Ty Griffin; 16 Aug 19 04:07 PM.
Re: APRNTSCRN refinements #1224 08 Jul 19 10:22 AM
J
John Andreasen Offline
J
One suggestion might be to remove the MBF_DLGNOPARENT flag (unless there is some need for it). I have seen this dialog get stuck behind the main ATE window on a customer's PC before.

Re: APRNTSCRN refinements #1225 08 Jul 19 11:02 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
I think the argument for MBF_DLGNOPARENT was to allow the dialog to be centered on the monitor rather than relative to the current dialog, which may be way down in the corner of the monitor. (While technically centering could be done independently of the parent, I think that as it stands, it would have to be done manually. I guess that's not really a good excuse though, is it?)

A slightly better one might that the while removing that flag would prevent the parent dialog from getting on top of the print screen dialog, it wouldn't prevent other windows, including possibly the A-Shell main window, from getting on top. We could probably debate the extent to which it made sense to allow another unrelated window to cover the print screen window, and I'm not really sure I have a firm position on that.

Another workaround would be to set the WS_EX_TOPMOST flag in the winstylex parameter. That would prevent any window from covering the dialog, which may be perfect or overkill, depending on your perspective.

Re: APRNTSCRN refinements #1226 09 Jul 19 09:07 AM
F
Frank Online Content
Online Content
F
FWIW we use the DLGNOPARENT flag for various reasons.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin