Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Printing PCL in CUPS / CentOS 7 #1595 06 Jan 17 01:03 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
This is a recurring issue, which usually is solvable by selecting a raw driver, but I can't seem to get it to work with CUPS in CentOS 7...

The objective is simply to send a PCL file to a Linux/CUPS printer, as is. This is the way we did things back in the AMOS days, and many are content to continue creating their own PCL. But in the CUPS world, they want to run files through all kinds of filtering, first identifying the type of file using a bunch of rules encoded in the mime.types file, then converting it to Postscript, then passing through a driver for the printer, etc. The result is often some change to the file which causes the PCL to go haywire.

In theory, passing the "-o raw" switch on the lpr command line should bypass all of that, but I'm still getting the messed up output.

I even created a pseudo-network printer that simply captured the output and wrote it to a file, and the resulting file has the same hash as the original, which would appear to prove that there was no filtering, but I can't explain why the printed result (outputting to socket//x.x.x.x:9100) is corrupted.

In past versions of Linux, using -o raw or selecting the "generic raw queue" printer model has always worked, but something seems to have changed in CentOS 7/CUPS 1.6.3.22.

If anyone else has run into this, or found a solution, I'd love to hear about it.

The one solution I've come up with for the moment is to print through ATE instead. I replace the device in the printer init file with AUXLOC:printer and set the ATE printer configuration in the Connection Properties to passthrough, in which case it prints fine.

Re: Printing PCL in CUPS / CentOS 7 #1596 07 Jan 17 07:11 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
Turns out that the problem was simpler than it seemed - it was just the old LF vs CRLF line terminator problem. The "-o raw" option and/or "local raw" printer/filter model were both working as expected (as indicated by the pseudo-printer capture test). But the printer wasn't set to treat LF as CRLF, and the complexity of the particular example of PCL, which contained, among other things, isolated CR characters, made it impossible to see the tell-tale "stair-step" symptom usually present with the LF-without-CR problem.

Printing through ATE, or directly from Windows, was converting the LF terminators to CRLF somewhere along the way, which was why it worked fine in that case.

The solution was just to add OPTIONS=CRNL to the MIAME.INI

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin