Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Linux-AMOS FTP (PASV not supported?) #26359 12 Dec 07 11:39 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
I've got a new user running into a problem FTP'ing files from AMOS to Linux. After establishing the connection (from the Linux box), when they use commands such as cd, ls, or get, it comes back with "502 PASV commands not implemented".

Looking at the man page for ftp on the Linux side, it seems to imply that the client always works in passive mode. (There was a switch to force passive mode, but now that is the default, and there is no corresponding switch to un-force it.)

Looking at the AlphaTCP Admin guide, I see no mention of the word "passive".

Unfortunately my in-house AMOS box is refusing to boot up this morning, so I can't test it here. I've never had a problem FTP'ing to/from AMOS, but perhaps I never tried it directly from the Linux ftp client.

I suggested a workaround of initiating the ftp from the AMOS side, or going via a PC, and either will probably work, but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has run into it, if there is a better solution, or if this is simply a matter of running an out-dated version of AlphaTCP?

Re: Linux-AMOS FTP (PASV not supported?) #26360 12 Dec 07 12:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have had the problem for awhile now and just initate the connection from the Alpha since it is very seldom I ftp to the it.

Re: Linux-AMOS FTP (PASV not supported?) #26361 12 Dec 07 01:05 PM
V
Valli Information Systems Offline
V
on our red-hat els 4 system i can turn pasv on or off with the command passive on or passive off

Re: Linux-AMOS FTP (PASV not supported?) #26362 12 Dec 07 01:17 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
Thanks for the feedback. I do see that (now) in the ftp man page under RHEL5 as well, but not for RH8. So I guess it depends on the version of Linux. I'm surprised, though, that the Alpha FTP server doesn't support it, since passive mode is nearly universal these days.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin