Print Thread
ZTERM Landscape printing? #26730 21 Jun 06 11:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm using ZTERM connected to ASHELL on LINUX and trying to force my local printer to print in landscape mode, but it won't do it.

ZTERM 2.0.144 running on WINDOWS XP Pro.
Printer is network printer (HP 4050N)
A) Tried first with printer configured on LPT port on another WINXP PC on same network.
B) Tried configuring printer as a tcp/ip printer on the local network. (Printer has hp print server built in, as well as both parallel and serial port connections.)
ZTERM print option are:
PROMPT for printer
No Emulate 10/17 (but same basic result when checked)
No Disable passthrough (displays at screen when checked)
When WINDOWS print menu displayed, I click on PREFERENCES, then click on LANDSCAPE.
But, when I click on PRINT I get portrait in every case.

If I create a simple file in WORDPAD and print in landscape mode, the output is in landscape mode. I can even do a test page in landscape mode. I'm printing to LOCAL, my LOCAL.INI file contains,
DEVICE=AUXLOC:
FORMFEED=ON
DELETE=OFF
PASSTHROUGH=ON (which is the default if I understand correctly).

The file being printed is a simple text file with 132 character lines. I can add some PCL commands, but am wondering why ZTERM/WINDOWS won't print in landscape mode.

Re: ZTERM Landscape printing? #26731 21 Jun 06 12:02 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
I've confirmed this problem here. It doesn't completely surprise me, since the decision of which paper orientation to use is ultimately up to the application, and unless I've overlooked something, it's decidedly non-trivial to implement landscape printing. (The driver doesn't provide any help other than providing a user interface for the user to choose from.)

So my guess is that ZTERM is either not asking the driver about the orientation, or just ignoring it.

However, one workaround would be to use the Emulate 10/17 CPI option, in which case the 17 CPI option will always give you landscape.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin