Print Thread
Zterm File Transfers #26811 02 Oct 07 12:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When transfering a file from a PC to a Linux box, the file gets created on the box with a -rw-r--r- permissions. When another user wants to upadte that file they get a file permission error.

I cannot seem to find a place to set the umask for FTPing for a user. Anyone familiar with this?

I have various work arounds for this, but if I could just set the umask to 111 or like, it would be nicer.

Thanks and have a good day.

Re: Zterm File Transfers #26812 02 Oct 07 12:46 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
It depends on which FTP server you're using, but in the case of VSFTPD, there is a config file /etc/vsftpd.conf which has a local_umask parameter. (I think most Linux FTP servers have a /etc/xxxxx.conf file where xxxxx is the name of the server.)

Also note that these masks are increasingly restrictive, so the user probably has to start with a UMASK at least as permissive as the one used by the FTP server. (The user's UMASK can generally be set in the .bash_profile, if not in /etc/profile.)

Also, keep in mind that FTP involves a separate login from the telnet session, so a common problem is that the FTP login (saved in your ZTERM or ATE config) is different than the one you were assuming.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin