Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Setting Colors #26822 23 Jan 08 10:54 AM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Here is a good one that i hope has an answer...

We still use zterm to connect to remote systems either thru ip or serial modems. Our support staff has expressed the need to have some instance recognition when they might be connected to a remote server vs our local inhouse server. Ive added some screen info, but thought it would be nice if i could somehow change the background color of zterm programatically when using a modem to connect to a remote site. I cannot use tcrt command because we are emulating the am62a and even after trying to change to am75 it doesnt seem to recognize the tab commands. Is there a way i can force esc seq to zterm to change these? I found this in the docs, but it doesnt seem to work either, or just works for color printers...

Thanks.

PRINT CHR$(27);"c";
PRINT "255,255,255"; ! white foreground
PRINT "0,0,255";CHR$(0); ! blue background

Copyright © 1996 - Rod Hewitt - From ZTERM for Windows Help

Re: Setting Colors #26823 23 Jan 08 12:07 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
The escape sequence you are referencing is for setting printer text color (using ZTERM's GDI printing mechanism.) As far as I can tell, there is no ESC sequence to reprogram the color map, like you can do from the Configuration menu.

My suggestion would be to switch from am62a to am62c. Both A-Shell and AMOS support am62c, and it is virtually a perfect superset of am62a, so you should have no compatibility issues. Then, you can at least select a different color scheme for different sites by putting a couple of standard commands in your master startup. For example, to set white on blue:

SET TERM BCOLOR 2
SET TERM FCOLOR 1
XY=0

Re: Setting Colors #26824 23 Jan 08 01:26 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Why didnt i think of that???
Anyways, upon trying that i get:

Current login is DSK21:[50,10]
.set term
Current terminal settings for PSHAK2 are:

Terminal driver: AM62A (ZTERM Build #ZV2.0.144)
Baud rate: 19200
Terminal width: 80

Do i have to make a change at the linux level as well?

Thanks.

Re: Setting Colors #26825 23 Jan 08 01:58 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
A-Shell/UNIX picks up the terminal driver from the TERM environment variable, which is usually set by the UNIX login process (by querying the telnet client). So, if you set ZTERM's emulation to am62c, UNIX should pick it up, set the TERM environment variable, and then A-Shell will pick that up.

Note 1: you may need to put "am62c" in the Terminal Identify field of the Terminal Options in the Configuration / Emulator dialog of ZTERM. (In the case of ATE, it will fold the emulation name to lower case and communicate that to the UNIX login, but I'm not completely sure how ZTERM does it.)

Note 2: many sites have a TERM= statement in a profile somewhere on the host, to hard-code the terminal setting. Obviously, if you have that, all of the above will be for naught. I suggest removing such a hard-coded statement, or at least making it conditional, since I can't see why you wouldn't prefer to have the TERM setting actually match the terminal emulator.

Re: Setting Colors #26826 23 Jan 08 03:04 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
This worked like a champ... thanks... wink

(Now i have to listen to them fight about exactly what colors they want!!! frown )

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin