Print Thread
Zterm/Basic using zterm esc for file transfer. #26827 24 Jan 08 10:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have one PC using latest release 144 even reloaded from coolstf. It has a hit and miss time doing file transfer either way, to/from a linux server.

Either from program control or the transfer tab, all other PC's on the system ftp instantly. This one has a sits and sits then times out.

Sometimes it will connect on the first try, others 3 or 4th.

Have gone directly to the command prompt on that PC and ftp will connect and goto username immeadiately. Then zterm telnet opens to the server instantly also.

Latest Zterm.
Other PC's using same software all work.
Other PC's are using same login and password.
It will conect eventually.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Re: Zterm/Basic using zterm esc for file transfer. #26828 24 Jan 08 11:43 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
It seems like we run into a variation of this every couple of years, and I'm not sure it has ever been determine just what is happening. I believe that the general explanation is that ZTERM uses some different networking components on the PC side than the Command Prompt FTP uses. ZTERM's FTP uses WININET.DLL; FTP.EXE does not use that. But WININET probably should not be updated by itself, as it interacts with other components.

So, my suggestion would be to make sure the installation of Windows on the PC is fully patched and updated. If that seems to be the case already, you might try uninstalling then reinstalling IE (since that should refresh all of the related networking modules.)

If that doesn't do it, then we'll have to dig deeper...

Re: Zterm/Basic using zterm esc for file transfer. #26829 25 Jan 08 09:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Followup:

It was a PC with XP, the operator ran the windows update procedure about 3 times, till there was no more updtes.

No more trouble with ftp tranfers through Zterm.

Thanks for the tip Jack.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin