Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26873 24 Jun 09 10:50 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
Has anyone tried it? (My guess is that the issues are going to be the same as those for Vista, but there's nothing like real live reports.)

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26874 24 Jun 09 10:54 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
Not tried, I was going to, but im sure as you say it will have the same Vista registry problems. and as we told all customers we don't support ZTerm under Vista I just never bothered try it.

I can try it if you like?

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26875 24 Jun 09 11:03 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
OK, just tried it under Windows 7 Beta (Windows 7 RC is on my Netbook whats not with me right now)

Required Admin to install. (what no surprise)

Next, Next Next all works and installs.

Launch ZTerm >- Add Profile -> Direct Network.
All works as normal, and icon on desktop.

Launch ZTerm and.. Your Evaluation Period has now come to the end.

so same as Vista. (and you have to cheat and run it as Admin etc etc to get around it)

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26876 24 Jun 09 11:45 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
Thanks for the confirmation - I had a user inquiry about it, and have (so far) been afraid to upgrade my laptop to W7. I was planning to do a vmWare install, but even with 160GB disk and 3GB RAM, the poor thing is operating at capacity, so I doubt that I could get reasonable performance, even after a major cleanup. I guess it's time for another machine? (I'm surprised Microsoft/Intel/AMD haven't proposed to Washington a stimulus plan to allow everyone in the country to get a new PC to test W7 on?)

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26877 25 Jun 09 07:59 AM
V
Valli Information Systems Offline
V
Saw this article this am, so thought someone else might be interested in it

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=1278

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26878 25 Jun 09 09:54 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
and the Windows 7 Pricing here.

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26879 25 Jun 09 10:22 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
Interesting bit about being able to run applications in emulated XP mode under W7 (from blogs.techrepublic.com article). It seems like it might be a lot of memory overhead if you were just running the one app in that mode, but maybe people would run all their apps in XP mode? (In that case, Microsoft will have created the perfect circular upgrade program: Start with XP, upgrade to Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7 in order to emulate XP.)

And, according to the pricing notes, we have until July 11 to pre-purchase it at a reasonable discount.

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26880 25 Jun 09 10:33 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
Do you feel your coming around in circles? but I think the Virtual technology with come in to play more in say Windows 8!?, so they can break compatibility of say Win7 but your still be able to run everything fine virtually.

More on Virtual XP Mode can be found here.

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26881 23 Nov 09 11:05 PM
Ty Griffin Offline
Good news and bad news about installing ZTERM. The good news first.

---------------------

I've just installed ZTERM on a new machine running Win7-64, and things appear to be fine. I installed once as administrator, once as non-administrator user, and both installations ran smoothly and as expected.

Unlike as in Vista, when installing as a user (not administrator) caused various problems, the Win7 installation paused and asked for--required, actually--administrator approval to proceed.

So it appears to me that the installation process works at least as well as in Vista, maybe better, and that installing ZTERM under Win7 should not be a problem.

As to the 64-bit complications, there were none. Windows properly identified ZTERM as a 32-bit application, installed it in the "Program Files (x86)" folder, and ran it without complaint or problem. To confirm: both ZTERM and its installation program ran/are running fine under 64-bit Windows 7.

------------------------------

Now the bad news.

During the licensing step, I had a situation which was mentioned in an earlier ZTERM-Vista discussion. The registration process ran fine, I got the codes fine, I entered the license code, and got a "Successfully registered on this computer" message. Everything peachy.

However, the next time I ran ZTERM, I got the "you're in demo/eval mode" message.

So as reported in that earlier post, the licensing process only APPEARS to be working. Presumably, something in the registry is not being updated as it should be.

Stay tuned, there will likely be more on this soon.

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26882 24 Nov 09 12:38 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
I think you need to "run as" administrator to enter the license. So either you have to modify the properties of the ZTERM shortcut to "run as administrator", or actually log in as administrator just to get the license entered. After that, you should be able to run as a normal user.

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26883 24 Nov 09 07:26 AM
Ty Griffin Offline
Yes, that did the trick. I thought the because I was logged in as Administrator, that would be sufficient. But you're right, it wasn't. The license procedure required that I right-click the shortcut and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu. When I did that, then the license worked fine--meaning that both User1 (Administrator) and User2 (not Administrator) were able to execute the licensed copy of ZTERM. The license "took."

Problem solved unless we hear otherwise.

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26884 24 Nov 09 07:38 AM
Ty Griffin Offline
So when installing under Win7 (and we think that the 32- and 64-bit versions work the same), here are the steps:

1. Run the installation program. You do not have to "run as administrator" or be logged in as a user with Administrator privileges. During the installation, Windows will ask/require for administrator login and password.

2. When you have the license code and are ready to register the software, you must "Run as Administrator." The resulting license will enable licensed operation of ZTERM by all users on the current machine.

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26885 30 Nov 09 11:37 AM
F
Frank Online Content
Online Content
F
Thanks for the legwork gents...

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26886 28 Jan 10 10:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I tried to install Zterm 2000 on my Windows 7 64 bit Dell PC. I am logged in with administrative privileges. I receive the following error:

"The program or feature cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64 bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available." When I click the OK button, I get this next error:

Installshield Self-extracting EXE. WinExec failed: return=216

Re: ZTERM w/ Windows 7? #26887 28 Jan 10 12:50 PM
Ty Griffin Offline
We resolved Don's problem by getting him the current ZTERM installation program, which is "zt144n.exe." So if you're reading this post because of ZTERM installation problems, be sure you are using the "n" version of the program. To download:

1. Go to http://www.coolstf.com/

2. Click on "Download"

3. Click on "Submit Registration" (don't fill out form)

4. Under ZT2000, the first item, click on the little install program icon. It is immediately below the first British flag.

5. Confirm that the file that landed on your computer is "zt144n.exe."

You can then run the installation program without doing anything special, and it should work.

IF IT DOESN'T, the next thing to try is this:

1. Right-click on the program

2. Go to "Properties"

3. Select the "Compatibility" tab

4. Set compatibility mode to "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"

5. Click "Okay"

Since the ZTERM installation program ran fine for years under XP, this should cause it to run equally fine under Vista or Win7, 32 or 64 bit.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin