Print Thread
Ashell Conference #28007 22 May 14 04:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since the conference is going to be Oct 8-12 is there anyone that is going early or staying late? We are thinking of going the weekend before and have our daughter drive up to Montreal for the weekend. Then do more sight seeing Monday & Tuesday.

Re: Ashell Conference #28008 22 May 14 04:20 PM
H
Herman Roehm Offline
H
I had thought about it, Ken. My wife (Sandy) is coming, but I haven't talked to her about coming early ot staying late. I'll talk to her this weekend and see if she is up for it. The old knee and all frown

Re: Ashell Conference #28009 22 May 14 05:14 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Good timing on this question. It seems that a number of people may be arriving earlier than Wednesday (either because flight schedules make it difficult to arrive early enough on Wednesday to make it to Trois-Rivières by cocktail hour, or because they just want to visit Montréal.) Of course everyone is free to make their own plans, but it might at the very least be convenient for arranging pickup and transportation to T-R that such people choose a hotel or hotels in reasonable proximity.

After doing a (very) little bit of research, my suggestion would be to stay downtown, somewhere in the vicinity of Shaunessy Village, which is within walking distance (or a short metro trip) to most of the touristy things do see or do: Mont Parc-Royal, the Latin Quarter, St-Joseph Oratoire, Rue St. Catherine, Museum of Fine Arts, etc.

As far as getting there from the airport, there is a shuttle ( STM 747 ) that runs 7x24, 2-5 times an hour during most of the day, that drops off at various downtown locations. (Costs about $10 and takes about 25-40 minutes depending on traffic and stops.)

We might be able to arrange a discount at the Montréal Delta, although it is considerably more expensive (about $246) than the one in T.R. A quick look on the booking sites suggests that there are several reasonable choices to choose from.

I suggest that people who are interested take a few days to think about it, look into it, comment, etc. and then perhaps next week there will be enough information to make an informed choice.

Re: Ashell Conference #28010 22 May 14 08:46 PM
Ty Griffin Offline
I'm interested in a couple days in Montreal, either before or after. Having explored Lisbon with Herman and Ken and Ken's wife LuWayne, I could definitely do the same in Montreal. They're not very good at protecting one from pickpockets, but other than that are excellent traveling and touristing companions. Of course, since Herman is bringing Sandy, he might be one his best behavior and be all boring... (Does this mean no "Boys R Us?")

Re: Ashell Conference #28011 24 May 14 04:54 PM
H
Herman Roehm Offline
H
Sandy goes to bed early, Ty. Boys R Use is not out of the question. :rolleyes:

Re: Ashell Conference #28012 30 May 14 04:55 PM
H
Herman Roehm Offline
H
I think Sandy and I are in for time before and/or after. I'm always for easy. I don't know how far it is to make day trips and not change hotels, but that would be nice. If not close enough, we certainly can change.

By the way, is Montreal (YUL) the airport of choice?

Re: Ashell Conference #28013 30 May 14 05:38 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
YUL is certainly the airport of choice if you're going to Montreal. The only other option is Quebec City (YQB); Trois-Rivieres is about half way between them. Quebec City (Vieux Québec) is quite charming and worth a visit if you have time. (It's about 90 minutes by car from TR, so do-able as a day trip, although even better would be an open-jaw where you flew in to one and out the other.) But typically a round trip out of YUL is cheaper and more convenient, not to mention the availability of rides between Montreal and TR.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin