Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
John Kjellman #28121 18 Apr 19 06:21 PM
T
Tom Jeske Online Content OP
OP Online Content
T
This morning John Kjellman passed away at home while sleeping. I first met him in 1983. He has been my friend since then. He is survived by his daughter Amy and granddaughter Kala.

Re: John Kjellman #28122 18 Apr 19 06:30 PM
Ty Griffin Offline
Thanks for posting this, Tom. My friendship with John doesn't go quite back to 1983, but close. He was dealing with Jack, presumably for INFLD and INMEMO, back in the late 80s, and also with my partner Phil and I about pcVision. He was also one of the early adopters of A-Shell--our serial number file shows 1993. So Jack and later me dealt with him in the context of A-Shell for about 25 years. He was a fine fellow for sure.

Re: John Kjellman #28123 18 Apr 19 07:40 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Thanks for sharing the sad, but not unexpected, news.

Besides being an all-around sterling character and wonderful personality, it's not an exaggeration to say that without John, A-Shell would never have reached commercial success. Not that he sold a tremendous number of systems, or developed much of the system code, but he purchased one of the very first copies, and then had the peculiar and endearing mindset of actually expecting it to work. Not just a little but one hundred percent.

You might wonder, who wouldn't? But in those early days, the idea of being able to emulate the AMOS environment on a PC (he started with a DOS version) was more of an exotic novelty than a reality. In fact, most of the early adopters were really just curious and more often than not, pleasantly surprised that it worked at all. But John figured that if we were selling it, it must be real, and we must be ready to support it. (That was the way he operated, and naturally expected others to as well.) He was a realist and knew that it was still wet behind the ears, but he had the vision to see the potential. To that end, he matter-of-factly and maybe even a bit too cheerfully sent me hundreds of detailed reports of bugs and missing features, almost on a daily basis for that first year or two.

I have to admit that there were times I may have wished that I hadn't sold him that first copy, but he won me over with his persistent attention to detail leavened with a sharp wit and sense of humor.

Without all of that feedback, his confidence that a production-quality release was within reach, his willingness to actually buy a few copies for sale back in 1993 (on a Novell network), and not to mention his ahead-of-the-times insistence on paying for support, I sincerely doubt that we would have stuck it out.

We owe him a debt of gratitude that can never be properly repaid.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin