Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Editing on Remote Server #28621 26 Feb 08 04:05 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
If you are looking for new features to add to The Editor 2008, here's one that came to me from another dealer (and "potential" Editor user): the ability to edit a project that is on a remote server (i.e. "loading" and "saving" the files via FTP). It could be a Pandora's Box, I'll readily admit, but it will give you something to think about over a glass of Porto.

In this particular case, the dealer installs the full set of source code on each end-user site, and then does custom editing remotely using an FTP-capable editor (such as PS-Pad). I don't know if that is a very common situation, but it might be useful to dealers who like to keep their source code on a UNIX machine but don't like Samba (or maybe want to work over the Internet).

One scenario would be to use an FTP-like browsing process to open the remote Project file (i.e. bring it, and related configuration information, such as the miame.ini, from the remote system to the local PC). The source files can remain on the target server until they are actually opened by the Editor, at which time they would have to be copied to some kind of temp directory tree on the local PC. If a program had hundreds of ++include files, you'd have to bring them all over, which might not be very efficient. But maybe you can leave those on the server, as long as the user doesn't do something silly like search All Files In Project. (You might want to turn off some of the automatic source code scanning logic in this mode.)

For compiling, arguments could be made for doing it locally or remotely, but I'm thinking that remotely would be more in line with the way programmers who work remotely typically work. It would mean that every time you save your files to do a compile, they would have to be uploaded to the server. And, you'd need a way to actually launch the compiler on the server. One option for that would be to create a "Compiler Service" that would have to be running on the remote system. It would accept compilation requests and return the output list file. (I would be happy to contribute that component, and as a practical matter, since any developer working remotely is probably going to open a terminal session to the remote server anyway, they could just manually launch the Compiler Service when they started the work session.)

For runtime testing, the developer would just use their terminal connection, just as they would do otherwise, if using a primitive, archaic, obsolete editor such as V**.

There are probably many complications not yet thought of, but maybe, just maybe, if carefully considered, it could be done with only minor substitutions of the load, open and save routines (to add FTP), the compile routine (to add the remote compilation request), and maybe a few conditionals to avoid doing inefficient things (like scanning the entire project) when in remote mode.

Re: Editing on Remote Server #28622 27 Feb 08 02:59 AM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content
Online Content
J
In fact, by now, I'm still looking for the Editor 2008 itself so, all ideas and suggestions are welcome, that way I'll have great excuses for the delay laugh

You're right, the idea is not complicated, but the usage can come up with tricky problems; anyway we will never know if we don't try, so that will be considered for the new version.
(this is something to keep open for discussion)

Regarding the compilation, in the current version we have already the option to FTP the result using the Publish [ F8 ] option.

Could you please try that and check if it covers the needs?
If not, at least we can start feeling the kind of problems that we will find implementing the Open/Load wink

Thanks

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal