Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
%MIAME% in MIAME.INI #28641 30 Jul 08 10:54 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
This is a minor issue, but just thought I would report it as it can be confusing. I recently started using %MIAME% within my MIAME.INI to eliminate most need for having different copies of MIAME.INI for different installations, each with different hard-coded directories. For example:

ERSATZ=%MIAME%\dsk0\001004\ersatz.ini
DEVICE=DSK0 %MIAME%\DSK0\
etc.

rather than:

ERSATZ=C:\VM\MIAME\DSK0\001004\ersatz.ini
DEVICE=DSK0 C:\VM\MIAME\DSK0\

This works particularly well with A-Shell/Windows, since the shortcut generally includes the -i parameter, and that, in turn, auto-defines the MIAME environment variable to point to the directory where the miame.ini is.

But, if you point The Editor at such a MIAME.INI, unless you globally pre-define the MIAME environment variable (which undermines the flexibility of having multiple identical MIAME.INI files in different directories, each using its own definition of %MIAME% based on its location), then The Editor isn't able to resolve the ERSATZ and DEVICE definitions.

A simple workaround is just to make a copy of each MIAME.INI (with hard-coded paths) for use by The Editor.

Maybe there is a technique to allow an environment variable to be defined dynamically and temporarily for the benefit of a single program instance that could be applied here, but I haven't thought of it. (The Editor does have an option to use %MIAMEFILE% as the name of the miame.ini, but that doesn't seem to help, since it would need to be pre-defined, and there is no easy way to apply substring operations to environment variable definitions.)

Re: %MIAME% in MIAME.INI #28642 30 Jul 08 01:15 PM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content
Online Content
J
Thanks for the clarification, this is a known issue and, me too, use %MIAME% inside my MIAME files and need to have another one to use with the Editor.
It's something that will have our attention in the future.

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: %MIAME% in MIAME.INI #28643 30 Jul 08 02:41 PM
J
Joe Leibel Offline
J
We had a situation once where we were trying to run Ashell from a USB drive. The problem was that we could not be sure what driver letter it would get. D:, E:, F: was variable. It sounds like having the ability to use %MIAME% within the INI would let us work around that problem.