Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lost Console #28812 09 Jun 17 08:35 AM
S
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have no idea what combination of characters/keys I have pressed, but appear to have lost the 'console' window, including the Console options tab in the Editor window properties!

If anyone has any idea where it's gone and how to get it back I would be most grateful. confused frown

Re: Lost Console #28813 09 Jun 17 08:39 AM
S
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
S
If it helps, when I press F8 to view output the Editor window 'fades' suggesting that the focus has shifted to the output window, but this is not visible.

Re: Lost Console #28814 09 Jun 17 11:30 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
I have to admit that I haven't seen that Console in ages, possibly ever, nor do I remember where that "Console Options Tab" appeared in any menus. Was it in the list of categories in Tools > Options dialog?

I was going to suggest that since the it doesn't use the Registry, you could try renaming the *.ini and .xml files in the Settings directory to get back to some kind of virgin state. Or, another variation would be to restore your entire APN directory tree, assuming you have a recent backup (since probably all of the things you care about saving are elsewhere).

But I tried downloading the original generic Programmer's Notepad into a clean directory to see if it appears there, and it doesn't. So the real question may not be how you managed to lose it, but how you managed to find it in the first place!
confused

Re: Lost Console #28815 12 Jun 17 02:57 AM
S
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
S
'Console' is probably a bit of a 'red herring'. The issue is actually with the 'output' window rather than the 'console. I thought they might have been the same, but obviously not.

The problem would appear to be that I have managed to separate the output window from the APN window, but there does not appear to be any way of getting to it if you don't know exactly where it is. The 'standard' window controls (Max/Min/Move/Restore/Size) do not appear to operate on this window, nor can I 'Alt Tab' to it and there does not appear to be any option to deal with it.

I'm not sure what the 'Individual Output' option does, exactly, as no output appears to be sent to it.

I guess I'm going to have to re-install to reset to a default layout.

Re: Lost Console #28816 12 Jun 17 11:03 AM
J
Online Content
J
Ok, now I get it.

If you accidentally undock the output window, you can redock it by dragging it over the main window and dropping it when the mouse cursor is on the bottom status bar of the main window.

But, if you can't find the output window at all, I'm not sure how you can deal with that. However, with some snooping and trial-and-error, I believe you can reset the window positions to their defaults by editing the settings/UserSettings.ini file and commenting out the "placement" item, e.g.

Code
[Interface Settings\default\MainWindow]
#placement=2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 9c 00 00 00 9c 00 00 00 1c 05 00 00 ed 02 00 00 
That worked for me after I dragged the output window off to another monitor (i.e. it put it back in the default position, along with the Find Results window). But you do have to use F8 to make it visible (as the default is turned off).

As for the "Individual Output Window", there is an option for that on the Project Tools dialog, but it isn't respected by the ASB compiler. (It didn't seem very useful to me to have separate output windows for every source file.)

Hopefully that will solve it with a little less effort than a full reinstall.

Re: Lost Console #28817 12 Jun 17 11:25 AM
S
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It has been a bit awkward but I held off re-installing just in case you came back with anything.

You did and indeed, it worked, so thanks for your efforts.

Re: Lost Console #28818 12 Jun 17 11:34 AM
J
Online Content
J
I'm glad to hear that, since it was surprisingly difficult to track down. (The behavior was embedded within the WTL window framework used by PN, which is itself a multi-layered black-box scheme which makes use of various lower-level classes, making it all but impenetrable to drill down through.)

I guess it's also nice to hear that the feature is so useful that it was causing pain to work without. (Those of you still married to VUE might want to take note!)

In any case we probably should add a note about this to the documentation.