Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
pdf exchange 64 bit #29160 16 Jul 10 11:28 AM
J
Joe Leibel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have a Windows 7 laptop and PDX-Exchange failed because I had the 32 bit version. I went to the web-site and downloaded the latest version. I reinstalled it and it worked fine.

Re: pdf exchange 64 bit #29161 25 Apr 13 06:17 AM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content
Online Content
J
Hi,
I have the, more or less, same problem in two computers with W7-64 using the 3.5 version of PDF-X, the one available in the Microsabio's downloads folder.
Details:
Both computers are configured in a windows domain and users have roaming profiles.
The installation succeeded using the local Administrator account but, when logged in with the user domain account, which belongs to Administrators group, the PDF-X printer wasn't there, while trying to install it fails w/o any error message, the wizard finish, reboot and no PDF-X printer.

I searched into the PDF-X website but, I don't know if our is a special release, compatible with the, so many, options available there.

Any idea?

Thanks

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: pdf exchange 64 bit #29162 25 Apr 13 07:15 AM
Ty Griffin Offline
I am running Windows8/64 on a laptop, and have had no problems installing or running PDFX. The same machine previously running Win7 also had no problems. I've always and only installed the version that is posted on the MicroSabio site, never anything from Tracker Software (the maker of PDFX-Xchange). I don't think I installed "as administrator," but instead just ran installation as normal user (although that user is administrator-level).

Re: pdf exchange 64 bit #29163 25 Apr 13 08:24 AM
J
Online Content
J
I also installed it already in several W7-64 computers w/o any problem, maybe the issue can be on the roaming profiles, I don't know but, the point is, who I should ask?
I can ask Tracker Software but, what version should I mention, Microsabio's?

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: pdf exchange 64 bit #29164 25 Apr 13 10:57 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
This could be an unsolvable problem. Much to our dismay, even though the PDFX driver interface architecture is perfect for A-Shell, apparently the developers felt otherwise, and decided to completely change it (to an ActiveX interface) in the 4.0 release, which has effectively left us stuck on 3.5. I haven't yet checked, but I suspect that they are likely to say they can't support it any longer.

As for what the actual problem is, it's hard to say. I do know that the driver is designed to stifle various kinds of network sharing schemes, since these would allow a user to purchase a single copy of the driver and share it among many users, rather than buying a copy for each user. I suspect that may have something to do with the disappearance here. And if that is the case, then they wouldn't help you anyway, other than to tell you to install the driver multiple times, once for each user environment.

Does it not install within the user domain account?

Re: pdf exchange 64 bit #29165 25 Apr 13 11:18 AM
J
Online Content
J
Exactly, it install with the local user and, don't install with the domain user account but, I guess, the problem is not the domain account by itself but, due to the roaming profile that is saved on the server and sincronized to where ever the user loggin.
Is there any log where I can look?
Because, the only strange thing that happens during installation, is a subtle bleep suggesting some unexpected interruption on the process, but the wizard finishes w/o any explicit message.

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: pdf exchange 64 bit #29166 25 Apr 13 12:16 PM
J
Online Content
J
A couple of ideas:

1) Did you reboot? I've never found it to be necessary, but according to the documentation, supposedly it is.

2) According to the manual (see page 12 "Important" paragraph), when you do a /SILENT installation, it creates profiles that are globally available to all users of the hardware. It's not clear if that's the same as the printer being visible to all users, but it may be worth a try, i.e. uninstall it and then reinstall with something like:

PDFX3SA_sm-3.6.0.130.exe /SILENT

As far as where printers are stored in the registry, it's pretty confusing these days, but the main section seems to be

\HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\ThinPrint\Client\PName_#

(with duplicate copies in the individual \HKEY_USERS area)

and also in:

\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
\Devices
\PrinterPorts

\AppDataLow\ is for "low integrity" applications, which might provide some clue to the problem under a real Domain where maybe there are some related restrictions. But maybe it's possible to transfer the entries manually from the administrator's section to the users?

Re: pdf exchange 64 bit #29167 25 Apr 13 02:06 PM
J
Online Content
J
Yes, reboot after install.
I'm not sure if it's the /silent switch, itself, that creates the printer globally or, if we have to handle the /installprofile, which is still not clear for me how to do it; I'm going to try that here and see how it runs.

Thanks for the tips

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: pdf exchange 64 bit #29168 25 Apr 13 02:27 PM
J
Online Content
J
I wasn't quite sure about the profile either, but in my standard workstation test, it installed ok with just /SILENT, so my guess is that you get a default profile (which is probably ok for our purposes here).

Re: pdf exchange 64 bit #29169 02 May 13 06:53 AM
J
Online Content
J
I don't know exactly what solved this but, it's solved.
I just uninstalled, manually deleted the folders remaining in ProgramFiles, reboot and intall again using the normal mode (no /SILENT).
Supposedly, these were the steps followed previously but ...

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin