Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PDFX to display .pdf files locally? #29233 29 Oct 13 03:31 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
I don't know if this will make sense or even be feasible but here goes the question...

Is it possible for PDFX to display a .pdf file not created by PDFX? If so, can this file be stored natively in the ashell directory system?

like display bas:document.pdf?

What i am trying to find out is if i can download a document locally on the system (linux) w/o first setting up a samba network or load it onto each station first. Also, i dont know if each station would have Adobe on board.

Thanks.

Re: PDFX to display .pdf files locally? #29234 29 Oct 13 04:37 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
PDFX doesn't contain a viewer, although the people who make the PDFX driver also make a viewer that can be licensed in such a way as to allow you to distribute it yourself or bundled with ATE (which might be an advantage over relying on the presence of Acrobat Reader, which you are probably not in a good position to distribute). It would even be possible to license and configure their viewer such that it appeared to be built-in to ATE (and maybe even launched in a window you controlled). But that would require some financial commitment.

On the other hand, given the prevalence of PDFs these days, it wouldn't be unreasonable to simply require that any of your end-users who want this feature to acquire and install whatever PDF viewer they want.

Furthermore you would almost certainly need to make the PDF file visible to the Windows client by some means. I would suggest just file-transferring it to the client workstation prior to launching the viewer (via MX_SHELLEX so you don't need to know the details of the viewer).

A slight variation of the approach would be to specify a file-based URL, thus putting the user in the same position she would be in when trying to view a PDF on the web (i.e. either use a PDF-reader plugged-in to the browser, or re save it somewhere and launch it manually, etc.)

Re: PDFX to display .pdf files locally? #29235 29 Oct 13 04:55 PM
S
Stephen Funkhouser Online Content
Online Content
S
The file-base URL approach is interesting.

If you used the file:// url schema you'd still have to copy the file manually. But, if you can run Apache then you could provide an actually http:// url schema which would put the file download/caching in the web servers domain.

Also, Chrome and Firefox both render PDF's natively now without the need of a 3rd party plugin. Adobe's Reader plugin was/is full of buffer overflows and other vulnerabilities; which was resulting in PDF rendering allowing malware to take advantage of the browser (or Windows if it's native Adobe Reader) So, Chrome and Firefox decided to handle rendering themselves.

Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin