Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PDFX Email.Type #29244 28 Apr 15 05:47 PM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
After consulting the documentation where types 1 and 2 are considered deprecated (as well as 3 but I don't use it), I've adjusted my central SBX which handles e-mail delivery to use types 5 and 6 instead but, using Type=5 none of the PDFX commands is injected on the e-mail that opens in Outlook; the commands tried was Email.To, Email.Subject, Email.Content and Email.From.
If I revert to Type=1 it works fine.

Allow me to break the rule of the single topic by post, and add a short question; is there any trick to get the Outlook signature injected at the end of the e-mail?
If I create a New message in Outlook it adds the signature but, don't in the e-mail opened in PDFX.

Thanks

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: PDFX Email.Type #29245 28 Apr 15 07:09 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Some of these email-related features may have gotten broken in the process of converting to the new PDFX version 5, so if you're somewhere in the vicinity of 1406 or 1407, perhaps the first step is to check if the problem still happens with:

ash-6.1.1408.2-w32c-upd.zip

I'm not using Outlook here, but with Thunderbird, it seems to work ok:

Code
//;PDFX Email test (PDFX3 properties, using mail client)
//PDFX,Email.Type,5
//PDFX,Email.To,somewhere@overtherainbow.com
//PDFX,Email.From,dorothy@kansas.gov
//PDFX,Email.CC,tinman@heartless.com
//PDFX,Email.BCC,lion@hearted.com
//PDFX,Email.Content,"Where's toto?"
//PDFX,Email.Subject,"Test PDFX (v3 compatible, using mail client)"
//PDFX,Email.AttachFile,sys:ersatz.ini
//PDFX,Save.ShowSaveDialog,false
//PDFX,Save.WhenExists,Overwrite
//PDFX,Save.RunApp,false
This is the document that gets turned into PDF and attached.
Additional documents may be attached using Email.AttachFile
When I print it to the PDFX5 driver (or the old driver, the results are now the same), my Thunderbird client opens to this:

[Linked Image]

Which is exactly what we want.

If you still get the same problem with the updated version, then it must be that Outlook is somehow blocking the MAPI interface (which is exactly the reason why the documentation advises trying to use type 4 if possible.) Although seriously, Outlook should not have any reason to worry about type 1 / 5; the main security concern is with type 2 / 6.

Re: PDFX Email.Type #29246 28 Apr 15 07:14 PM
J
Online Content
J
Sorry, forgot about the signature issue. Again as you can see in the case above, Thunderbird has added my signature block automatically, but the way that works can easily be different between Outlook and Thunderbird. Although I'm guessing that the issue is related to the problem with the MAPI interface being blocked. (It seems that Outlook is afraid of PDFX controlling it and is disabling or ignoring everything except for launching the Outlook client.)

I will try to do some experimentation with Outlook tomorrow (but one additional complication with Outlook is that there are so many possible configurations / environments, depending on whether you have Exchange, the "real" Outlook or one of the "Lite" versions (or Windows Mail), the client OS version, etc. So our results could easily differ.

Re: PDFX Email.Type #29247 29 Apr 15 07:23 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
No luck here; the sympthoms are the same with the updated version but, probably, you're right and it's Outlook blocking something.
Anyway, I'm fine to keep using Type=1 which works fine except for inserting the signature but, that's a minor problem.

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: PDFX Email.Type #29248 29 Apr 15 10:52 AM
J
Online Content
J
Is this with PDFX v5 or v3? Do they both produce the same behavior?

It's interesting that Type 1 behaves better/different than Type 5; if nothing else, it suggests that maybe Types 1 and 2 shouldn't be deprecated!

Re: PDFX Email.Type #29249 29 Apr 15 12:13 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
It's V5 and, apologize but, didn't test Type=5 with V3.
Anyway, I've installed the program in the customer using Type=1 and they are still in PDFX V3 and it was ok; on their side, a message pop up asking for permission to access Outlook (as you suggested that could happen), they also don't get the signature inserted at the end.
I can try, later, to install there the program using Type=5 and check if using PDFX V3 it works.

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: PDFX Email.Type #29250 04 May 15 08:01 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
I noticed that Outlook assumes "Simple text" when launching the PDFX e-mail, probably, that's the reason why the signature is not loaded because it's just supported in HTML mode.
Is there any way to force Outlook to use HTML mode via PDFX?

PS: No problem Jack, I know you're busy this week and no hurry on this, just want to leave the subject posted wink

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin