Next Thread
Print Thread
ATE swap key question #31026 01 Jul 19 01:42 PM
J
John Andreasen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Jack,

Would it be possible/(not too difficult) to make the ATE swap key open another ATE window with the same profile if there is only one instance open?

Thanks,
John Andreasen

Re: ATE swap key question #31027 01 Jul 19 02:46 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
I'm impressed that you even know about this obscure feature - I can't even find it in the documentation! And I'm not even sure I remember how it works. (I vaguely recall some scheme to re-purpose the PolyShell swap key to tell ATE to switch between multiple client-side sessions, but can't remember the precise details, other than that Control-Tab is also supposed to do nearly the same thing. (I think the former skipped minimized windows while the latter doesn't.)

I guess I see no technical reason why ATE couldn't launch a new session on the Control-Tab (or other) swap key if there were no other sessions to swap to. But considering that it may take a few seconds for that to occur, there might be some user-experience downsides or complications to that happening in a context where it might be easy to do it accidentally.

Before deciding if this is really a good idea, you may want to review Launching another ATE from ATE, in which another developer toyed with various approaches and seemed to have settled on a menu option to do so. But I'm not sure anyone even considered just making it an extension of the Control-Tab swap key.

Last edited by Ty Griffin; 16 Aug 19 01:11 AM.
Re: ATE swap key question #31028 01 Jul 19 02:56 PM
J
John Andreasen Offline OP
OP Offline
J
OK, thanks Jack. I can't even remember how I happened on to knowing about that feature (it may have been a complete accident by hitting the "`" key when I first started working here.) We are considering getting rid of PolyShell as we move to a more GUI driven system. I was thinking that some mechanism like this would help users tolerate the change. Let me do some looking at that thread. Perhaps adding a menu option would be a good approach for us to take.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin