Next Thread
Print Thread
Communiqué #1 #31032 10 Mar 09 06:09 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
Welcome all to the A-Shell / SQL forum.

If you're wondering what it's all about and haven't gotten any announcements from Ty, please email him or click the email icon above this message to email me and we'll send you the introductory information. (If you got the information but are still wondering what it's all about, please post a question.)

We hope that this forum, perhaps more so than the others, will be a place not just for reporting bugs or requests about A-Shell/SQL per se (which frequently only I can answer, although those are welcome too), but for developer-to-developer discussions, tip sharing, recipes, ideas, newcomer assistance, questions from the how-to to the philosophical, etc. In short, a place to discuss SQL in general. I see my role here as making sure the interface works and doesn't get in the way of what you're trying to do. But as for SQL itself, I have no control over it and no particular claim to any special expertise. In fact, I hope to be a more-or-less equal participant in, and equal beneficiary of this as a learning resource.

Mixed in with those posts will be these "Communiqué" messages from us, meant to convey news, announcements, and administrative or semi-official information relating to the product or the development program. (Ty suggested we call them "bulletins" and I made the mistake of saying that it sounded too authoritative or urgent, in a retro sort of way, as in "This is an all points bulletin...", or "This bulletin just in...". So if you don't like "communiqué" you can blame me but he came up with it.)

Thanks in advance to all of you who participate. I look forward to both working and learning with you.

-Jack McGregor
MicroSabio

Re: Communiqué #1 #31033 11 Mar 09 09:09 AM
F
Frank Online Content
Online Content
F
Gee, Jack... when did u find the time to work this into the perverbal ongoing strew??!! wink

Are you now going to move to a 5.2 and move the SQL release to 5.3?

Re: Communiqué #1 #31034 11 Mar 09 02:46 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
That had been the plan, but the mere mention of moving to 5.0 stimulated so many requests to "squeeze one more feature in" or fix one more bug that I just gave up on 5.2 for awhile.

It's true that SQL would have been a nice marquee feature for 5.3, but in reality the implementation is such that on-going developments in A-Shell/SQL are likely to have little or no impact at all on the A-Shell executable. So isn't likely to affect the stability of the rest of A-Shell.

Re: Communiqué #1 #31035 11 Mar 09 04:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is Great.

Our company has been waiting for this to happen for a while now.

Now if you can make the connector work with Microsoft's SQL server we would be very happy.

Re: Communiqué #1 #31036 12 Mar 09 01:17 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to start a new thread though for discussing SQL Server, which I suspect may get lengthy.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin