Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bad Result Set Handle #31097 23 Apr 13 09:06 AM
S
Stephen Funkhouser Online Content OP
OP Online Content
S
What's the maximum number of result set handles supported at once?

I have a category hierarchy in a table defined using an adjacency list. This requires a recursive function to select an entire path in the hierarchy. When I reach the fifth result XCALL SQL returns rc=21 (SQLERR_BADRESHDL).

Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions
Re: Bad Result Set Handle #31098 23 Apr 13 10:29 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
The default maximum is 4, but you should be able to increase that by setting the desired maximum number of result sets into the reshdl member of the ST_SQL_CMDHDR structure that you pass to the SQLOP_INIT_CONN (4) call.

The idea was to set a reasonable maximum by default in order to avoid some rogue accidental value being requested. But not to prevent you from using as many as you want, if you really want to.

Re: Bad Result Set Handle #31099 23 Apr 13 10:39 AM
S
Stephen Funkhouser Online Content OP
OP Online Content
S
Thanks, could the resultset handle information be added to the SQL docs?

As an aside, I decided to modify my function to only require one handle. I temporarily save the result set to a local DIMX array, and then iterate the temporary array to make the recursive calls. This way there shouldn't be a un-freed resultset memory issue possible.

Does a previous resultset get free'd on subsequent queries if it was not explicitly free'd via a SQLOP_FREE_RESULT call?

Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions
Re: Bad Result Set Handle #31100 23 Apr 13 11:21 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
I need to need to update the ASQL documentation...

No, result sets are not automatically freed by the subsequent SQLOP_QUERY, so it is imperative that you use SQLOP_FREE_RESULT after done using the results of the previous query.

The only automatic cleanup of result sets is when you disconnect, in which all of the active result set handles will be freed. (But that won't account for the case where you effectively orphan a result set by reusing the handle without first free it.)

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin