Next Thread
Print Thread
Email Screen Function #31204 18 May 12 12:18 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Hi,
I am having a problem with the new email screen feature in win 7.0/windows live. It gives me a message that the email cannot be sent due to errors. It also attemtps to open up a new session of windows live even though one is already open.

More specifically the error says, Delete the photo email and create a new one. Try and send again. I think it has to do with how the image is attaced, becuase i dont see an attachment, rather an embedded image in the email itself.

It does work with XP. I think our customers will like this new feature and i plan on plugging it into ZOOM...

Anyone else using this feature on W7?

Thanks.

Re: Email Screen Function #31205 20 May 12 04:14 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
Frank its working fine for me (and many customers) under Win7/Outlook, but not tried anything with Windows Live Mail.

Re: Email Screen Function #31206 21 May 12 08:14 AM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Ok thanks... i assume that this is going to be a wait and see for our customers... if all else fails it could be saved and attached manually...

Re: Email Screen Function #31207 30 May 12 11:31 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Sorry for the delayed response - the webmaster apparently forgot to activate notifications for this forum for me.

The print screen utility uses the MX_MAPI interface for emailing, which in theory is a standard Microsoft API and thus should be widely supported, especially by Microsoft email agents, but in practice, it seems to be plagued by the various security breaches and patches that are continually being foisted upon us by the hackers and counter-hackers of the world. I'll have to try a test with Windows Live Mail (but on a test machine! - I'm afraid to corrupt my main development machine). So I'll get back to you on it.

We do have an alternative email strategy - EMAILX - but it requires that you specify the outbound email server and credentials, which could be a bit of a pain for standard field installations. (MAPI shields us from that by just handing it over to your email client to send.) I

Re: Email Screen Function #31208 30 May 12 12:35 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Ok, I threw caution to the wind, activated Windows Live on my Windows 7 (x64) machine, made it the default email client, and took a screen picture. After clicking the email button, it launched Windows Live with the message, including the png image as an attachment (shown in the header below the Subject like, not embedded in the body). And when I sent it, it all went just as it should (arriving in Thunderbird as a normal message with an image attachment.)

So it sounds to me like a Windows Live configuration problem relating to the format of the messages or how images are attached. I looked through the Options and Properties dialogs, but couldn't find any such option.

However, an Internet search revealed this About.com link: How to disable inline display of image attachments in Windows Mail, Live Mail

I do not have the item they suggest adding (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Automatically Inline Images), and in any case the article seems to be concerned more with receiving messages than sending them, so I'm not sure this is quite the solution. But I did note that I had the following two attachment-related registry items, both set to 0x00000001:

Safe Attachments
Secure Safe Attachments

Maybe those are significant, maybe not.

I also searched for "Windows Live Mail delete the photo email" and got several forum hits referring to the exact message you got, most of which seem to suggest that the problem was due to the skydrive being disconnected, or a problem with the outgoing server, etc.

I would suggest some poking through those forums to see if any of the tips help you resolve the issue. At this point, it does not appear to be an issue with A-Shell itself.

Re: Email Screen Function #31209 31 May 12 08:03 AM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Thanks for the followup and going thru the pain of installing software. It may be related to my PC alone for some reason? I don't have this up and running on sufficient stations to gather any other relevant data. I will keep this thread in case it happens to popup again on a customer side.

Thanks.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin