Next Thread
Print Thread
ATE: ashnet.dll load error #31503 21 Aug 19 04:52 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Good Day -

Been a while since this happened but for some reason i am getting this error when launching a fresh ATE install (6.4). Originally the tech tried to transfer the ATE directory from 1 pc to another... major no-no. Se we un-installed ATE then re-installed it but no-joy. I am not sure if i recall correctly if it could be some sort of windows permission problem, but they say the user has admin priveleges. I checked and indeed the files are in the /bin directory.

Here is a pic of the message... (Thanks Ty!)

Attached Files Capture.PNG
Re: ATE: ashnet.dll load error [Re: Frank] #31505 21 Aug 19 05:27 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
First off, while the embedded picture is convenient, I sure hope it looks better on your screen than it does above!

Image quality aside, the error is simply saying that it failed to load the ashnet.dll file. Since DLLs in the same directory from whence the EXE was loaded should always be found, that suggests that either your \ate\bin\ directory is missing the ashnet.dll file, or for some other reason it can't be loaded.

Before we get to that, I should also note that ATE only loads ashnet.dll if you are using TELNET rather than SSH. If so, you might want to revisit whether that makes any sense in 2019. Or, if the error appears after you've connected, it would be related to the use of a function like ATHTTP or file transfer that causes ATE to load ashnet.dll to service the request.

If you have the dll in place, and you're sure you're loading the ashw32.exe from that same location, let's first check the properties of the dll to make sure that it is digitally signed, and that the version is at least 1.10 and the size is at least 3 MB. (Anything less would suggest a corrupted file.)

If that's all good, then I suppose it is possible that the DLL is depending on some module that is normally part of Windows but which for some reason is missing on this machine. Unfortunately the Windows DLL loader isn't very nice about reporting that kind of problem, and if we do a general purpose dependency check, it will report hundreds of dependencies (which is typical of any application that relies on standard Windows components, which in turn have a tangled web of their own dependencies).

Re: ATE: ashnet.dll load error [Re: Frank] #31507 21 Aug 19 06:12 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Thanks for the quick reply.

First, yes it seems cleaner here...lol... but its just a screen grab, and perhaps the BBS is re-sizing the image to some minimum spec thus causing the lovely 16 bit quality wink PS: also realized this was a screen grab from a 3 PC's deep... (Mine => Support => Customer) ergo i'm sure a good deal of detail was lost in the process.

You might be onto something, and yes... they SHOULD be using SSH... i will double check on that... so that could remedy the situation. I can say however that i did verify that the .dll were in the same dir as ashw32.exe file (/bin).

Let me do more homework and report back.

Thanks.

Last edited by Frank; 21 Aug 19 06:14 PM.
Re: ATE: ashnet.dll load error [Re: Frank] #31596 04 Sep 19 05:36 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Followup - all the dll data looked fine but still no joy...

Decided to go with our latest xcall http transmission and bypassed athttp this has resolve the issue.

Thanks for the help...

Closing ticket.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin