Next Thread
Print Thread
//IMAGE Question/Advice #31658 16 Sep 19 08:56 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Asking for a friend... grin

A customer is asking to merge a custom form they have with our software - to basically just print some basic demographic information on the first few lines.

They supplied me with the .RTF (word format i believe?).

What process would you recommend to get the file into the //IMAGE option? I was thinking to just to a screen capture to a .png but that doesn't seem elegant or straight forward, plus it would probably resize everything. Is there a way to funnel the printer output to a BMP or PNG?

TIA (from a friend...)

Last edited by Frank; 16 Sep 19 08:57 PM.
Re: //IMAGE Question/Advice [Re: Frank] #31659 16 Sep 19 09:08 PM
S
Stephen Funkhouser Online Content
Online Content
S
If it's RTF you can probably use //XTEXT to embed. You can also use MX_GDICALC to determine what the //XTEXT coordinates are.

Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions
Re: //IMAGE Question/Advice [Re: Frank] #31661 16 Sep 19 10:23 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
I would agree that using //XTEXT and MX_GDICALC is probably a good way to go. In fact, you might want to use the //XMDATA and //XMFIELDS directives to create a merge driven by the location of variables embedded in the RTF rather than by XY positioning (and thus would adjust even after changing the layout of the RTF).

But if you prefer turning the RTF into an image, there are lots of image printing drivers around. (Load the RTF into Word and then print to an image pseudo-printer.) If you can't find one, send me your RTF and I'll print it to PNG using the Snagit driver.

Re: //IMAGE Question/Advice [Re: Frank] #31662 17 Sep 19 12:37 AM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't realize //xtext could read native rtf files.. that seems like a good start, and if i cant get it, i appreciate your offer Jack to pipe them into a PNG.

I will read up on the //xtext usage and the other commands that were referenced above.

Re: //IMAGE Question/Advice [Re: Frank] #31663 18 Sep 19 01:46 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Followup:

Was able (with some assistance - tx Jack) to get the .rtf file loaded by //xtext.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin