Next Thread
Print Thread
data breach ? #32325 21 Feb 20 03:19 PM
V
Valli Information Systems Offline OP
OP Offline
V
when i logged in this am i got a messages from chrome to change my password

a data breach on a site or app exposed your password. chrome recommends changing your password on www.microsabio.net now

just a fyi

Re: data breach ? [Re: Valli Information Systems] #32326 21 Feb 20 04:08 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
That's rather alarming. But after reading this post on the support.google site, if I understand it correctly, it appears that the warning message is not necessarily pointing the figure at the site you're trying to log in on, rather than the name/password combination you're using there has shown up elsewhere in a google scan of the entire Internet. The recommendation is to change that password on every site where you may have used it.

We did go through a blacklisting ordeal several months ago which was related mainly to some out-of-date WordPress components; there was never any suggestion that data had been stolen. After doing a thorough cleanup and update, we also also switched microsabio.net and microsabio.com to always redirect to the https: secure version. We don't store any personal data other than your login name/password for this forum and any personal details you entered when setting up your account. But it's always a good recommendation to not use the same login/password on multiple sites (or at the very least, to not share passwords between low-risk/non-financial sites like this and any sites that may have financial or other personal information (banks, shopping sites, etc.)

So I would definitely take Chrome's advice here, but wouldn't worry about logging into this forum. (If the warning recurs after entering a new password that you've never used elsewhere, then we have a problem.)

Re: data breach ? [Re: Valli Information Systems] #32328 21 Feb 20 09:07 PM
F
Frank Online Content
Online Content
F
Not sure there Is much to steal here as everything Is fairly well open and advertised wink I can see some hacker in Nowherixtstahn trying to figure out what this rogue tool called ashell is all about....

Re: data breach ? [Re: Valli Information Systems] #32329 24 Feb 20 03:07 PM
S
Steven Shatz Offline
S
I just Googled "ashell" and these were the first 2 hits:

1. Not surprisingly, ancestry.com displayed the "Ashell Family History" page. Spoiler: there's not much history. (https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=ashell)
2. names.org told me that "Ashell means "Protector" and is of Zimbabwe origin." Funny, Jack never mentioned that. (https://www.names.org/n/ashell/about)

Hit #3 is for Microsabio.

Re: data breach ? [Re: Valli Information Systems] #32332 25 Feb 20 08:57 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
The A-Shell family history page reminds me of when this ancestry stuff was just beginning to become popular (before I even started with A-Shell), I got a letter addressed to Micro Sabio offering to enrich my life with details of long lost relatives that started out with this:

Dear Mr. Micro,
As you know, the Micro family name is an unusual one, which is why ...

(Not sure why I didn't subscribe.)

As for the Zimbabwe connection, not being entirely sure of the whereabouts of my birth certificate and wanting to keep my future political options open, I was hoping to keep that one a secret!

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin