Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bitbucket Git Conversion #32934 28 Jun 20 12:51 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
With the deadline for converting the Bitbucket SOSLIB and EXLIB repositories from Mercurial to Git format (July 1) bearing down on us, I finally carved out some hours to work on the project.

The result, at least as of now, is a partial success. The SOSLIB and EXLIB repositories have been converted, and are at the same locations (at least for the top level of each repository), e.g.

https://bitbucket.org/microsabio/soslib
https://bitbucket.org/microsabio/exlib

The not-so-good news:

• The URLs to the individual files have been expanded to include two new levels - /src/master. (This will require all of the direct links in our docs to be updated, but wouldn't be a problem for anyone browsing the repositories or downloading the entire sets.)
  • The version/histories have been lost. (I tried various tools and techniques for converting Mercurial to Git, but failed miserably to get any of them to work satisfactorily.) So you won't be able to pull the repositories down to your own and see the individual file changes.

The APN repository still needs to be converted (see discussion here)

Re: Bitbucket Git Conversion [Re: Jack McGregor] #32940 29 Jun 20 02:09 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
I repeated the process today with more success. The new versions have the complete history, but in Git format. There is still the issue with the URLs to the files containing two new levels (src/<branch>) but for anyone who wants to keep a parallel version control repository for the SOSLIB and EXLIB, you should be able to set up Git on your local machine and clone from the cloud copies.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin