Next Thread
Print Thread
Reference "Search" feature #33233 25 Aug 20 01:32 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Good day -

Assuming this is a Ty question - when doing a search it seem like it is returning an exact match vs matching on what is entered...

example:

I type: norow -> and it returns 2 matches

I type: norowif -> and i get 6 matches.

I don't know what others would expect, but i think the search should return all matches up to the search criteria... for a varied amount of reasons but especially if you have misspelled part of the command or don't know the entire string you are searching for.

So for the above example i would have expected 6 matches on entering "norow"

Re: Reference "Search" feature [Re: Frank] #33234 25 Aug 20 03:56 PM
Ty Griffin Offline
Hey Frank...

I'm afraid this is not going to be a very satisfying answer, but here it is anyway.

As I think you know, we use a tool to create our documentation. All of our source material is in Microsoft Word, and to create the docs I say to our tool "process items1,2,3..." There are a bunch of rules and specs and options involved, of course, and at the end of the process out pops the document set which I post and you see.

Not surprisingly, "search" is one of the features of the tool that is handled without any input at all from the user (me). Therefore we/I have no control of it whatsoever.

I've noticed some odd behavior by "search" over the years, and your example is certainly an instance of that. But not only can I not do anything about it, I'm having trouble even figuring out what it's doing! I think what's going on is (a) Search is only looking for whole words, and (b) it decided that "no row" was the closest match to your first term so it searched for that (and found it), and (c) but didn't highlight the results.

Despite rather obsessively striving for perfection with some aspects of the documentation, there are other aspects of it where we've decided to simply live with "good enough." Search is definitely one of those. I believe the folks who make the tool we're using wrote their own search engine, and it leaves quite a bit to be desired. On the other hand, it seems to work well enough in most cases.

So how's that for unsatisfying?!!!

Re: Reference "Search" feature [Re: Frank] #33235 25 Aug 20 04:30 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Are you running for Kamala Harris' seat??! wink

Sounds about as satisfying as if I gave it to one of my end users crazy

But fair enuf... it is what it is...

Either way have a good day!

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin