Next Thread
Print Thread
//IMAGE - half-tone #165 12 Sep 05 01:29 AM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
Hi,

I'm trying to use the "half-tone" print method (flags=2) in the //IMAGE GDI command and it seems to have to effect on the printed image; I expect to get it printed as a "water mark".

I was sure to use water marks before, but when I checked in those programs I remebered that I adjusted the image itself to half-tone.

Still about //IMAGE flags, what should I expect to get when using flags=2 (scatter print method)?

Thanks

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: //IMAGE - half-tone #166 12 Sep 05 09:08 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
These are options in the imaging library which I just passed through to the //IMAGE command. According the library documentation:

The default print technique prints the image using the Windows StretchDIBits function. Depending on the sophistication of the printer driver, results can range from very bad to very good. 1- and 24-bits per pixel images must use the default print mode.

The halftone and scatter techniques print a grayscale version of a palette color image.

The scatter technique generally produces a sharper image and takes about 10% longer to print compared to the halftone method.
I don't see anything specific in the library's documentation relating to watermarks, which are basically just images printed very light. You might be able to accomplish that by loading your image into some graphic manipulation utility that supports a function to convert your image to something like a watermark. Then you should be able to print it using any of the //IMAGE flags.

Re: //IMAGE - half-tone #167 12 Sep 05 10:23 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
Sorry, maybe I didn't explain it correctly.
What you suggest (convert an image in gray scale to use it in watermarks), is what I've done before.

What I would like to do is, have a single image file that I could print as it is and, using the half-tone switch in the //IMAGE command, print the same image in light mode.

Thanks

PS: don't start another project because of this, probably, most of the times, I will need to have two files and if not, I can always convert the initial file to grayscale

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: //IMAGE - half-tone #168 12 Sep 05 10:45 AM
J
Online Content
J
I was afraid that was what you were looking for, but I don't see (at the moment) any efficient means of doing it. I've checked with the imaging library developers and they don't currently have such a function, and implementing it myself sounds like an adventure into graphics programming that would crowd out some other projects which I think are probably more important. So, for the time being, I think you're going to have to stick with maintaining two copies of the image.

Re: //IMAGE - half-tone #169 12 Sep 05 10:59 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
No problem at all Jack, as I mentioned, probably I will always need two copies of the file.

Thanks

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: //IMAGE - half-tone [Re: Jack McGregor] #33760 13 Jan 21 04:50 PM
J
Joe Leibel Offline
J
I am trying to print a JPG as a watermark. I can convert it to grey sale and print half-tone but how do I lighten it?

Re: //IMAGE - half-tone [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #33761 13 Jan 21 05:00 PM
Ty Griffin Offline
If you are using PDFX, there is an "opacity" setting in the "Defining an Image Watermark" syntax. See documentation here:

Defining an Image Watermark

Re: //IMAGE - half-tone [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #33762 13 Jan 21 06:03 PM
J
Joe Leibel Offline
J
This will be a GDI form going to a laser printer.

Re: //IMAGE - half-tone [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #33763 13 Jan 21 06:25 PM
J
Online Content
J
I guess that's one parameter we don't have on the current //IMAGE command. I have to do some research into the problem, but offhand I don't think it's a trivial attribute to add to JPG rendering. For more immediately results, you will probably be better off just loading the image into a general purpose image editor, applying whatever effects you want (opacity, cross-hatching, posterization, whatever) then re-saving it.Then you can just use it as is. (Of course that's only practical if it's just one or a few images that you want to use as watermarks.)

Re: //IMAGE - half-tone [Re: Jack McGregor] #33764 13 Jan 21 06:46 PM
J
Joe Leibel Offline
J
I was using INFRAVIEW to do that but couldn't get the right results. I'll search for opacity, cross-hatching, posterization, and whatever to see how that works.

Re: //IMAGE - half-tone [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #33765 13 Jan 21 09:37 PM
F
Frank Online Content
Online Content
F
I thought those were basketball terms smirk

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin