Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Screen Picture Utility is annoying #34265 12 May 21 09:08 PM
S
Steven Shatz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Is there a way to disable the Screen Picture utility triggered from a dot prompt by ^p? When I work back and forth between the Linux prompt and A-Shell, I frequently hit ^p in A-Shell when I mean to hit ^r (to bring up prior commands). Each time that happens, if I don't hit ESC in the first popup field, I end up having to ^C out of the utility. This then triggers the print screen, which leads to other problems and slows me down significantly. Can I disable the feature?

Re: Screen Picture Utility is annoying [Re: Steven Shatz] #34267 14 May 21 01:41 AM
F
Frank Online Content
Online Content
F
Yes, simply don't hit the incorrect control sequence! Happens to me all the time going into and out of various windows and non windows programs. Can't call Microsoft just because a keyboard sequence isn't what we want it to be. I think we spend way to much time asking the software to do things that are end-user related. Rant over.

Re: Screen Picture Utility is annoying [Re: Steven Shatz] #34268 14 May 21 09:30 AM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content
Online Content
J
Hi Steven,

I was sure that already have replied this but, probably some distraction should moved out my attention.

When I hit CTRL+P in the A-Shell prompt, what I get is the form in the picture, which gaves me a lot of chances to abort it.
What I understood from your description is that, the capture screen process starts as soon as you hit CTRL+P, after what, you try CTRL+C to abort it?

Attached Files ps.jpg
Last edited by Jorge Tavares - UmZero; 14 May 21 09:30 AM.

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: Screen Picture Utility is annoying [Re: Steven Shatz] #34269 14 May 21 04:14 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
I actually run into that problem myself, as I too am frequently switching between the Linux shell prompt and the dot prompt. (The level of annoyance just hasn't risen to the level of formal complaint yet!)

There probably should be an option to disable this. I may put that on the list. But while researching it, I discovered a couple of related features, the first of which is entirely undocumented:

• Adding SBR=INFLD_PRINTS to the miame.ini causes ^P to bring up the GUI version of the print screen utility (same as File > Print Screen) instead of the text version. (Not much help, but maybe easier to get out of even after typing other characters before realizing what you've done.)
  • Adding |Q to the type code list causes ^P to generate exitcode 25 instead of the print screen

The second feature above would be a good solution, except that it doesn't work at the dot prompt, because there isn't an explicit XCALL INFLD interface to the dot prompt. (The fact that the dot prompt uses INFLD is really just an implementation shortcut, not a feature designed for site-level-customization.) Normally you could force extra type codes into INFLD via the INFDEF feature, but that feature is disabled at the command prompt (as it is intended for applications, which are more likely to be subject to customization than the dot prompt.)

So perhaps we should add a SBR=INFLD_NOPRINTS ? Or SET NOPRINTSCREEN? Or maybe a keystroke remapping option like SET XLAT ^P ^R (i.e. to convert ^P to ^R) ? One problem with remapping is that you would likely want to change it between the dot prompt and the application. For special key remapping, you can use FIXTRN but it only works for multi-byte key sequences (like function keys send); it doesn't recognize ^P as a translatable sequence.

Re: Screen Picture Utility is annoying [Re: Steven Shatz] #34287 15 May 21 09:11 PM
S
Steven Shatz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I like the SET NOPRINTSCREEN option. It would be easy to disable the ^P popup when it becomes a nuisance.

If the problem arises once or twice, it's no big deal. Hey, like Frank says, it's just a minor typing problem. But when I am under a time constraint and have to do a lot of back and forth work between A-Shell and Linux, whether in the same window or multiple windows, then this really hurts. Thanks for offering a solution.

Re: Screen Picture Utility is annoying [Re: Steven Shatz] #34300 18 May 21 08:52 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J

Re: Screen Picture Utility is annoying [Re: Steven Shatz] #34308 20 May 21 03:34 PM
S
Steven Shatz Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you, Jack. Now all I have to do is upgrade to 6.5!

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin