Next Thread
Print Thread
HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue #34908 01 Feb 22 10:59 PM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
Hi,

In my environment, each option in the menu triggers a new instance of A-Shell using "xcall hostex, $ashell ...", meaning that all the switches used on the initial instance of A-Shell are preserved, including the initial icon in the -g switch.
It happens that I want to be able to change that icon depending on the entered option adding another -g switch after the $ASHELL statement, but doing that, both icons conflict and the new session reverts to the default icon.
Here is the debug for that xcall:
Code

13 22:40:57 <MAIN:e622>CreateProcess(
C:\Users\User\OneDrive - Umzero\desenvolvimento\soft\BIN\ashw32.exe  -n -2 TSKAAA  -i "C:\Users\User\OneDrive - Umzero\desenvolvimento\soft\miame.ini"  -g 10purple.ico
 -o default.ash -g C:\Users\User\OneDrive - Umzero\desenvolvimento\SOFT\DSK0\040000\imagens\ico_mod_657.ico -e run admcommon\nSET TITLE "Documentos"\nrun dsv:[457,0]Y2K800 \nPP\n\n11\n2\n1\n1 \n )

(I've split in different rows for easier read)
The second line corresponds to the $ASHELL translation, on the third is everything I add after it.

As far as I know, I'm not able to remove the initial -g 10purple.ico, is it possible to fix this considering the last value for any repeated switch?

There is no special urgence here, this is just for pure aesthetic refinement.

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34909 01 Feb 22 11:40 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
It seems reasonable that the second -g should override the first one. I'll see if I can fix that in the version that I'm testing/debugging now.

But as an aside: I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't seem to need quotes around all those absurd path arguments!

Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34910 01 Feb 22 11:48 PM
J
Online Content
J
Actually, after looking at this more closely, the -g handler is explicitly allowing for the possibility of multiple -g arguments. And if I test it by just adding two -g <iconspec> arguments to the desktop shortcut, the second one takes effect. Similarly, if I do this from the dot prompt...
Code
.host $ASHELL -g <iconspec>

... the new instance uses the specified icon rather than the original or default icon.

So now I'm even more suspicious that the problem is not the multiple -g arguments but either the lack of quotes around the paths containing spaces, or maybe there is some problem with the OneDrive access?

Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34911 02 Feb 22 01:28 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
Huuummmm!
Let me double check that because I published here my trace but the complain came from a customer where the path should not be so hard-core.

Last edited by Jorge Tavares - UmZero; 02 Feb 22 01:28 AM.

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34912 02 Feb 22 02:46 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
You're right, the second -g switch takes effect.
Appologize for the wrong diagnostic, the problem was in a mix of two scenarios.
In my customer it was not working because the ICO file was not in the "icons" folder and I found a bug in the program not adding the path for the expected folder.
In my environment the path with spaces was not working so, the wrong conclusion was, the second -g argument don't work sick

So, now, it's working fine in my customer where the path for the icon don't have spaces; it's not working here, where the path is that "spaced onedrive".
But it still doesn't work after quoting it (path+filename) cry
If you can, please, check if this is true because I'm getting out of ideas and really need to rest now.

Thank you and apologize

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34913 02 Feb 22 04:29 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
Clarifying ...

host $ASHELL -g C:\temp\10white.ico OK
host $ASHELL -g "C:\temp\10white.ico" NOT OK, it ignores both icons, the initial brought in $ASHELL and the second in the -g argument and use the default

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34929 04 Feb 22 04:21 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
Just to light the bulb ... to confirm if it's really an issue or another stupid move on my side, but on the bottom of the relevant topics

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34931 04 Feb 22 05:03 PM
J
Online Content
J
If you want to test the fix for the -g issue, here's a very-beta release...

ash-6.5.1710.4-w32c-upd.zip

Warnings:
  • It isn't digitally signed (I'm in adminstrative purgatory trying to get my certificate renewed.)
  • If using PDFX, it requires an update to version 9, aka "PDFX-Change Standard" (link below)
  • If using ASQL, it requires an updated libashodbc or libashmysql DLL (to be released shortly)

PDFX driver update: PDFX9.2.359_SA_sm.exe

Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34932 04 Feb 22 05:39 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
This one did the trick cool
I'm glad to have found something to fix, that should credit me for the initial waste of time wink

Anyway, I'm going to keep this version only in house, to test it while waiting for the signed version.
Also, I need to check the new PDF driver because I tried it in a customer and they complained about the email function behave different, by then, in the rush, I've reverted for the previous PDF, hopefully next week I will have time to check that.

Thank you very much

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34933 04 Feb 22 07:11 PM
J
Online Content
J
Good! And thanks for the feedback on the PDFX email. I'll try to do some more testing of that over the weekend.

Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34935 04 Feb 22 09:24 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
If I well remember, with the previous PDF-X, the email client open automatically with the PDF attached, with the newer, it asks for saving the and, not sure, the email client don't open.
But, as mentioned, I didn't get into the details of the problem, it can be just a matter of define some initilal settings?

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34936 04 Feb 22 10:31 PM
J
Online Content
J
Which Email.Method are you using?

Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34937 05 Feb 22 12:07 AM
J
Online Content
J
I've just done a test of Email.Methods 4, 5, and 6, and all worked as expected. 4 emails silently and directly to the SMTP service. 5 launches your email client with the file attached, allowing you to type a message before sending. And 6 sends it via your client but without displaying the user interface. Depending on the version of Windows, local policies, etc., methods 5 & 6 may prompt you to consent to the fact that another application (A-Shell) is trying to access your email client. Aside from that, you probably want to turn off any PDFX settings which would cause it to prompt you regarding saving the file (like file already exists, etc). Here's my test file...

Code
//;PDFX Email test (Method LaunchClient, new commands)
//; (uncomment one of the following pairs)
//;PDFX,Email.Method,4
//;PDFX,Email.Subject,"Test PDFX Method 4"
//;PDFX,Email.Method,5
//;PDFX,Email.Subject,"Test PDFX Method 5"
//PDFX,Email.Method,6
//PDFX,Email.Subject,"Test PDFX Method 6"
//PDFX,Email.To,santa@northpole.com
//PDFX,Email.From,tinytim@dickens.com
//PDFX,Email.SMTP.Address,???
//PDFX,Email.SMTP.Port,465
//PDFX,Email.SMTP.UserName,???
//PDFX,Email.SMTP.Password,???
//PDFX,Email.SMTP.UseSSL,1
//PDFX,Email.Content,"This is a simple PDFX email test"
//PDFX,Email.Content,"Attached is a Hello World PDF"
//PDFX,Save.ShowSaveDialog,false
//PDFX,Save.WhenExists,Overwrite
//PDFX,Save.RunApp,false
//;And this is the PDF document source to be attached...
Hello world!

Last edited by Jack McGregor; 05 Feb 22 12:10 AM.
Re: HOSTEX $ASHELL icon issue [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34939 07 Feb 22 07:00 PM
J
Online Content
J
FYI, I finally got the code signing certificate sorted out and have posted an almost-ready-for-full-release install package if you want to try it...

ash-6.5.1711.0c.exe
ash-6.5.1711.0-web.exe

Note: it contains the updated libashodbc/libashmysql modules, but if using PDFX, you need to install the new driver separately.

Last edited by Jack McGregor; 07 Feb 22 07:25 PM.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin