Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic #34995 22 Feb 22 07:56 AM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
Hi guys, hope everybody is fine and, if you have some spare time (is that possible? :D) to help with this non-A-Shell topic, I would appreciate.

I'm helping friends who organize a film festival to update their website for the 2022 edition because the ususla programmer don't want to keep doing it, he is a nice guy and available to give me some tips, but particular reasons lead to this situation.

This is an environment somehow new, Phyton/Django/JQuery/MySql for me but for what I've seen until now, I can understand the structure and the code so, I believe will be able to take care and it's an opportunity to learn new stuff.
The project is located in Github and he sent me an invitation to clone it.
I've done it, apparently with partial success, installing the Github Desktop (windows).
Now I have the two projects in two repositories listed in my GitHub desktop but there is nothing inside, it just say that everything is updated, what I believe is a good starting point.
I also have all the files and folders in my computer inside the ".\documents\github" folder.

But to adjust the website (www.rotafestival.com) pointing to my Github repository I need it online, in my account, what also don't happen.
I tried to create a new repository and import my offline folders, but that option is not there.
It has an option to import from an URL, if I put there the link to the repository of Rafael (the programmer) it accepts but ask for login credentials, but mine doesn't work and he didn't sent me any, only the invitation link.

So in resume, I want to link my online Github account with two projects that exist in my computer but still are linked to the old Github account.

Obviously this is completely out of scope and I reenforce the non-A-Shell topic
Thanks in advance for any help

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34996 22 Feb 22 08:25 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
Wait, I think I've done it blush

I don't know if I did it the right way, but I have both projects online, in my account.
1. Online: created two repositories with the same name of those in my desktop
2. Desktop: under Repository Settings, changed the URL to point to my account instead of the account of the former programmer
3. Desktop: created a Pull request
4. Online: did something regarding the Pull Request which I don't remember exactly, but I think it was something like "use GitHub Desktop"
5. Desktop: Commit pull request

And all the files are now online cool

From what I understood in a first move, all the changes in my desktop are not synched online, they appear like Changes but I should have to do a Pull request, is this the process?

Thanks

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34997 22 Feb 22 08:47 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
Well done Jorge, glad its not just me who fights GitHub the few times I have used it with Get & Pulls and find I did something what im unsure of that have it suddenly all working.

Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34998 22 Feb 22 12:35 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
Hi Steve, I thank you for sharing your experience, it's a relief to know I'm not alone on the feeling that it's not that intuitive grin

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #34999 22 Feb 22 03:10 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
Well, I'm already pushing, pulling and editing between Git Desktop, Online and even using the bash console in the website to update it directly from the GitHub so, just to say that I think I'm fine for now and save time for anyone trying to help.
Thanks

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35000 22 Feb 22 03:15 PM
S
Stephen Funkhouser Online Content
Online Content
S
Glad you figured it out. Don't think there was any doubt that would though.

Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions
Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35001 22 Feb 22 03:38 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Bravo to you. (Now I know where to go for help with my recurring struggles managing the SOSLIB/EXLIB Git repositories cool)

Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35002 22 Feb 22 06:00 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
Thank you gentelman, I'm glad you're watching because, probably I'll be back when Phyton will be in place for real, now it's just HTML, content and moving things around whistle

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35008 23 Feb 22 02:09 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
I'm back blush

Just to confirm if I can install Phyton 3.0 and keep the 2.7, which is needed for the APN, correct?

Thanks

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35009 23 Feb 22 03:10 PM
S
Stephen Funkhouser Online Content
Online Content
S
Yes, I have both installed

Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions
Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35010 23 Feb 22 03:47 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
cool Thank you

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35039 24 Feb 22 07:19 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Oh you meant Python ! I thought you were talking about some new wizbang light particle technology and was afraid to ask about it. laugh

Re: GitHub clone - non-ASHELL topic [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35044 25 Feb 22 04:09 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
eek
something so strange and looking so dangerous, surely would be something like Phytonusk cry

(thank you for the correction) wink

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin