Next Thread
Print Thread
PDF Landscape doubt #35853 25 Jan 23 05:05 AM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
Hi Jack,
I don't know if this is some change of behaviour with the new PDFX version or something I'm missing.
Right now, I'm not able to test with the previous version of A-Shell and PDF-X so, I've decided to open this thread with the hope that you can give me a simple and quick answer.

When I preview using SPFW_LANDSCAPE in xcall spool, the result is fine, but when I send to PDF the page is in portrait and the data in the middle of it.
The result in PDF is the same no matter if I print it directly to the PDF-X printer or from the preview window using the button "print as intended by the application".

My customer assures to me that this always worked perfectly and I can't remember of any change in my central module to print that could do this, the only relevant change was the PDF-X driver.

Thanks

Attached Files pdflandscape.jpg
Last edited by Jorge Tavares - UmZero; 25 Jan 23 05:06 AM.

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: PDF Landscape doubt [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35855 25 Jan 23 03:52 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Hi Jorge,
Yikes! I can reproduce the problem here, not sure yet how to explain why or when it started. Am investigating...
Jack

Re: PDF Landscape doubt [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35856 25 Jan 23 04:18 PM
J
Online Content
J
It appears to have been broken in 6.5.1709.4 (basically the first version compatible with the PDFX9 driver version); if you're desperate for a quick fix, try ash-6.5.1709.3c-w32c-upd.zip

Otherwise, stay tuned while I get to the bottom of it...

Re: PDF Landscape doubt [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35857 26 Jan 23 02:29 AM
J
Online Content
J
This turned out to be a lot more complicated than expected. There were a lot of PDFX-related changes in 6.5.1709.4 related to working around a bug in the driver having to do with paper size designations. The workaround involved setting up custom paper sizes to match the desired standard sizes. That had the unfortunate side effect (not noticed until today) of interfering with the ability to switch to landscape. Anyway, once I figured that out, then the task was to find another solution to the original problem. After trying various things, I noticed that there was a driver update (see link below) and at some point after updating, things seemed to sort themselves out. But I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it. I also haven't had a chance to write up the notes for all the things that have changed in 6.5.1724 (including the XTREE filter changes discussed here). But if you're brave and want to try it out, I suggest starting with just the A-Shell update. It might actually solve the problem without having to update the driver. If not, then update the driver as well. (There's no harm in updating the driver, but it's a bit of a pain to have to get all your installed PCs to update, so it would be nice to know if it was really necessary.)

And if you start smelling smoke, shut it down and go back to fighting the giants in the forest. cool

ash-6.5.1724.0-w32c-upd.zip
PDFX9SA_sm.exe (9.4.364)

Re: PDF Landscape doubt [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35858 26 Jan 23 08:58 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
In the end of the story, the giants in the forest were good ones and became great friends of the brave girl but, like in this thread, everything is fine when ends fine and this is a great end in both cases.
Considering the warnings, I'm going to install and test here before update the customer, during the weekend, because some new problem with the PDF-X can complicate other things.
I'm sure it will be far difficult to invent a new story for Violeta than apply this update.
Many thanks for all the effort.

Last edited by Jorge Tavares - UmZero; 26 Jan 23 05:10 PM.

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: PDF Landscape doubt [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35859 26 Jan 23 05:13 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
Just to let you know that, PDF Landscape issue is solved, I don't know if there are any side effects but looks promising.
(still scratching my head for Violeta's new story)

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin