Next Thread
Print Thread
APN not open after Windows reboot #35895 09 Feb 23 08:59 AM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content OP
OP Online Content
J
Hi,
The subject says almost everything and this is not a recent problem.
I rarely reboot my laptop because I always have several APN sessions opened that will not reopen after an Windows reboot.
But, sometimes, Windows decide to do it over the night, like today.
Is there any setting in APN to include it in the reboot cycle to reopen the programs opened before the reboot?
I've searched already regarding Notepad++ but what I found was people complaining about the files inside the editor not reopening automatically, not the editor itself.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: APN not open after Windows reboot [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35900 09 Feb 23 05:09 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Good question. The middle-of-the-night Windows reboot is a recurring annoyance to most developers (who have a tendency to leave for the evening with many applications open)! I have gotten used to making sure all my APN windows have been saved before I leave, but it would be better still if it just remembered the entire workspace. I'm going to have to put that on the to-research list. I'm pretty sure it's possible to trap the system-shutting-down message and perform some action (like saving everything to a 'reboot' workspace, which you could then at least re-open in a single operation.) But it would definitely require modifying the APN core (rather than some external setting you could apply).

Unfortunately it has been awhile since I've worked on APN and I suspect it will take some hours to reconcile it with all of the updates in the SDKs, tools, libraries, etc. since the last time.

Re: APN not open after Windows reboot [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35902 09 Feb 23 06:26 PM
J
OP Online Content
J
My problem is not about unsaved workspaces, unless Violeta forces me to start an immediate search of Giants in the Forest, I usually save mine before leave the computer.
What I'm looking for is to have them opened automatically after a reboot, the saved ones.
I don't know if that's related to some internal setting in APN that must be set that Windows recognizes it like a friendly program that it can restart automatically w/o breaking any security or GDPR rule.
Anyway, for sure, this doesn't deserve hours of investigation and develoment, I asked in case it could be something trivial and easy to implement.

Thanks

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: APN not open after Windows reboot [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35903 09 Feb 23 07:48 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Well in that case, you might want to consider this a feature not a bug: it forces you to close some files so that you don't just keep opening new ones endlessly (something I'm definitely guilty of). Maybe we can request that Windows reboot more often? laugh

As an aside, if you can remember to save your files, perhaps you can remember to do a File > Save Workspace (or just > Save All). Then, if Windows reboots while you're chasing the Giants of the Forest, all you need to do is reopen the workspace.

But, if you really want it to work like Microsoft apps (Word, Excel, etc.), then I think two things have to happen: 1) APN has to watch for the signal that the system is rebooting, and 2) when it sees it, register a command line somewhere that Windows will re-execute on startup. I'll put it on my to do list (but possibly just below clearing all of the Giants from the Forests and restoring all of the trees that were cut down).

Re: APN not open after Windows reboot [Re: Jorge Tavares - UmZero] #35905 10 Feb 23 12:18 AM
J
OP Online Content
J
I do work with "Workspaces", each one with more than twenty files opened (bas, bpi, def, ...) in four or five APN sessions.
In the early morning after a reboot it takes a while to open all of them and I can't even go make an espresso because the processor needs time between each APN open.
Now it's time for another story, maybe I'll try one with Leprechauns to save the forest of such destruction.

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal