Next Thread
Print Thread
Sad day in Alabama #36514 15 Aug 23 03:27 PM
G
GreggC Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hey everyone,

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I thought you all would want to know that Herman passed away this morning. I know that he enjoyed his interactions with all of you, just as I do. He was such a fun person and will be missed terribly.

Sincerely,
Gregg

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36515 15 Aug 23 03:30 PM
Ty Griffin Offline
Thanks for letting us know, Gregg. Herman was a great guy and a great friend. We knew that he had long-term health problems and had been very sick for quite a while, but it's still sad to lose such a good guy.

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36516 15 Aug 23 03:33 PM
Steve - Caliq Offline
There are totally no words to say but a lot of frown frown frown frown frown

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36517 15 Aug 23 03:33 PM
S
Stephen Funkhouser Online Content
Online Content
S
This world just got a little darker without his presence. He will be missed.

Stephen Funkhouser
Diversified Data Solutions
Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36518 15 Aug 23 05:21 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
I remember my first phone conversation with Herman, back in the 80's. He had developed his pharmacy package based on block mode terminal technology and was peppering me with questions (ever so charmingly, humbly and even apologetically of course!) trying to decide if it was going to be possible to migrate from block mode to INFLD. It was crazy idea, with numerous technical obstacles requiring the development of obscure features that no one else would ever appreciate. But as anyone who has ever met him will immediately understand, between his radio announcer voice, mischievous sense of humor, Southern charm and general love of life, I couldn't possibly have turned him down.

It was one of the best decisions I ever made. (I'd like to think he would say the same.) Sure, it led to a lot of business for both of us, but the real payoff was the immeasurable pleasure of thirty years of friendship. Even though we may have only met in person a couple dozen times over the years, I have so many rich memories from conversations and adventures with him that I could go on for hours replaying them. Probably there are hundreds of people whose lives have intersected his, from the donut shop to the pharmacy, airport, business world and of course family who have their own treasure chests of such memories. But I suspect that I'm one of a relative few who also had the opportunity to appreciate the self-taught skill and ingenuity behind the "Aw shucks I'm just a country pharmacist and can barely understand what you programmers are talking about but am just happy to be in the room" veneer.

Between his obsession with detail, perseverance, work ethic and general brilliance, he was constantly not only thinking of ways to improve his application, but actually and systematically doing it. (The conversion from block mode to full duplex was just the first of his many technological makeovers.) Along the way he built an exemplary application and company which has and will surely continue to benefit pharmacists and clients across the southeast, not to mention inspiring countless improvements that we in the A-Shell community can thank him for (almost always with an appreciative laugh.) He may be gone in the flesh, but I still see him every time I look at the code.

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36519 15 Aug 23 08:09 PM
S
Steven Shatz Offline
S
That is so sad and comes as a shock to me. I didn't know him well, but he seemed like an easy going, kindhearted, well-humored guy; someone comfortable with his place in this world. Among other contributions, I will miss his charming Southern drawl and his lighthearted sparring with Frank.

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36520 16 Aug 23 12:39 AM
F
Frank Online Content
Online Content
F
Gee this wasn't the thread I was expecting to find ... frown

Jack left a very well stated farewell to our friend. Thanks Steven, that did bring a smile to my face. I don't really even know how it started, but somehow we had this ongoing spirited camraderie. I think it started online before meeting in person.. If I am remembering correctly it all started over tapioca pudding and me telling him we need to make sure there was some available at the conference, and of course because i am a smart ass i had to bring some with me. cry

Farewell Herman, old pal, I am, and we are much better humans for having the privilege of having the opportunity to know you.

PS: Gregg please pass along our condolences to his family. (and to you as well, I am sure this is very hard on you)

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36521 16 Aug 23 05:26 AM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content
Online Content
J
I'm searching for the right words while my mind rewinds in full speed all the moments with Herman and all were great moments, since the very first Conference twenty one years ago, and I had the fortune to have one extra moment with him when he came to Porto, in theory, to help in to get in the GUI world but what last from those days were the great moments of laugh, unbelivable stories and high astral, unfortunately he still was a vegetarian and didn't have the chance to taste a lot of portuguese meals.
The next Conference will not be the same without him but we will have infinite hours remembering our Herman.

Undoubtly he is one person that left a mark in my life.
I second Frank sending my condolences to the family and closer friends.

Thank you Herman wherever you are, I'm sure it's a wonderful place because you deserve it.
A great hug to y'all

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36522 16 Aug 23 07:08 AM
Ty Griffin Offline
As you may know, our A-Shell Developer Conferences usually result in a few photos, mostly thanks to Denis Giroux and Steve Evans. And as you may also know, we put some of those photos together in an album, then post the album on the "Flickr" photo sharing site where you can view them.

I've gone through those photos from our first conference in 2002 to the last one that Herman attended, in 2016, selected all the pictures in which Herman figures prominently, and put them together in one album.

Here's a link to that album.

Good stories go with many of the pictures, but I wasn't up to the task of writing them.

Tips for viewing:

• The photos are arranged from oldest to newest.

• The year and location of the conference is displayed when you open an image.

• Sorry for the ad pages.

• If you follow the "back to album list" link at top left, you can see albums from all the conferences (plus some GUI samples from a while back).

Hopefully the pictures will reinforce your memories of Herman and help recall some of the wonderful moments we got to share with him. Rest in Peace, old buddy.

Last edited by Ty Griffin; 16 Aug 23 07:14 AM.
Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36523 16 Aug 23 07:13 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline
Nicely done Ty, they all bring back wonderful memories.

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36524 16 Aug 23 10:32 AM
D
Denis Giroux Offline
D
Thanks Ty for putting together this album of very unforgettable and beautiful memories

Herman will surely by missed by all of us

Denise and I offer our deepest condolences to all his family and friends

Denis & Denise

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36525 16 Aug 23 01:07 PM
F
Frank Online Content
Online Content
F
Nice montage Ty - thanks.

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36526 16 Aug 23 01:46 PM
R
René Villar Offline
R

It is a sad day not only in Alabama o for the A-Shell community, but for everyone who has ever known Herman.

There is not much to add to what everyone has already said, but I would like to share my personal experience with him.

Like many of us, I met Herman - and his deep voice with that southern drawl - at A-Shell conferences, but that brief time was enough to realize his tremendous value, his unique sense of humor, his way to be so humble, and here a long etcetera so as not to repeat what Jack and all the others rightly said.

Wherever you are, my friend, I send you a big hug and my condolences to your family. May God give Sandy resignation in the face of this irreparable loss.

Sad day in Monterrey, too.

René.
Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36528 16 Aug 23 06:26 PM
G
GreggC Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Reading all of these beautiful posts have me on the verge of crying, yet again. Herman was the person that hired me years ago, when I was a young 30 year old (gosh, time flies). He not only was a wonderful boss (he hated to be called that), but a good friend as well. We tended to challenge each other with our programming ideas, and it was usually about a 50/50 average on who won. I know I can never replace him, I doubt I'll ever have the tremendous knowledge of AShell that he had, but I'm learning more and more every day. Once when I was overwhelmed with designing and writing our eScript functionality he gave me the absolute best piece of advice. He looked at me and said "Do you know how to eat an elephant? One spoonful at a time" That simple piece of advice helped me understand that no matter how big or small a programming project was, you could only get though it in small bites.

He made a huge impact on my life and I'll miss him. In case you'd like to look, I've put the link to his obiturary below.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/montgomery-al/herman-roehm-11408748

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36541 18 Aug 23 04:56 PM
J
Joe Leibel Offline
J
That is seriously sad news. If it wasn't for Microsabio we may not have gotten to know him and that would have been a great loss. But we did get to know him and he will be remembered and missed. I loved his charming southern drawl and his wonderful attitude. Nice eulogy Jack and very nice things said from all of you. Thanks for the effort on the pictures Ty. Please pass our condolences on to Sandy and the family from Chris and I.

Yesterday I was talking to a friend about his brother and my friend we recently lost. We had been talking about how Johnny had the "glad gene". He brought happiness everywhere he went. He always had a smile, and a joke. I think Herman had that same gene.

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36544 19 Aug 23 02:00 AM
Ty Griffin Offline
I took all these comments and printed them, then sent them to Sandy (Herman's wife) with a card. So to all of you who said something like "...pass our condolences...", they have gotten passed.

Re: Sad day in Alabama [Re: GreggC] #36545 20 Aug 23 05:26 PM
F
Frank Online Content
Online Content
F
Very nice Ty - thanks for representing us.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin