Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Source Repository #36778 02 Nov 23 01:02 PM
Steve - Caliq Offline OP
OP Offline
I emailed Matt @ OmniLedger as im sure he could well answer this but then decided why not open this up and ask...

What Source Repository do you guys use for Ashell? While we are moving offices + New hosted Linux (Ubuntu) Server Im tempted to move our source with in one... (Along with deciding if its inflicting self pain or not)

Steve

Re: Source Repository [Re: Steve - Caliq] #36779 02 Nov 23 08:01 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Good question! Once upon a time, I was happily using Mercurial on all platforms (Linux, Windows, Bitbucket), with the Tortoise Hg front end for Windows. But then Bitbucket dropped Mercurial, forcing a migration to Git. Now I'm using still using Tortoise Hg, for A-Shell itself, but Git for the SOSLIB/EXLIB stuff. Probably I need to complete that migration and use the Git interface with Visual Studio for the A-Shell code. (That would be another advantage of Matt's Visual Code project, since APN doesn't have a natural code repository interface. But running Tortoise separately isn't that much of an issue either.) In my case, I haven't had to deal with sharing between developers; obviously that adds another level of complexity.

Re: Source Repository [Re: Steve - Caliq] #36780 02 Nov 23 08:13 PM
Steve - Caliq Offline OP
OP Offline
Talking to Matt earlier , and I may explore bitbucket & GitHub but much like what you said Jack :

Matt:
“VSCode comes with native GitHub integration or a just-as-good BitBucket extension”

There now less sharing between developers here now too, more for safe source and my own version control.

Maybe we need a gitrec.lit. and a gitsnd.lit so we can upload and download strIght from the dot prompt!

Re: Source Repository [Re: Steve - Caliq] #36781 02 Nov 23 09:10 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
We already have something similar to GITREC.LIT / GITSND.LIT -- it's called EXPLORE.LIT cool

(Git for Windows links into the Explorer, so to send you right click on the file, then pick the relevant Git options from the context menu.)

Re: Source Repository [Re: Steve - Caliq] #36782 02 Nov 23 09:14 PM
Steve - Caliq Offline OP
OP Offline
Ah neat, something else to play with….
Think we need another conference to explore all this.

Re: Source Repository [Re: Steve - Caliq] #36783 02 Nov 23 10:38 PM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content
Online Content
J
What are you talking about here?
Yes, I concour with Steve, next conference next week to discuss this.
For the good and worst, I use OneDrive and Acronis sync, i thought I was in the edge of modernism but after your posts, probably I'm in the dark side of the moon eek

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal
Re: Source Repository [Re: Steve - Caliq] #36784 03 Nov 23 09:20 AM
Steve - Caliq Offline OP
OP Offline
Same Jorge i've not really explored Source Repository outside of Visual Studio projects like for Ashell Source..

Currently we have a Unix Server in the office as the master server with latest source and I 'bulk' copy this to my local (@home) VM Unix Server and after changing programs re-upload them to the Office master server, But now as we are moving offices and migrating away from a physical server in the office to a Cloud one I was just pondering to myself maybe I should look into "Source Repository" so it would be much the same if I was working in the Office, working at Home or working late at night on my laptop in Tower 12 at Hermosa Beach.

As its pretty well just me changing the source maybe im over thinking and it be inflicting self pain complicating things.

Re: Source Repository [Re: Steve - Caliq] #36785 03 Nov 23 06:41 PM
J
Jorge Tavares - UmZero Online Content
Online Content
J
They have just emailed me about the party tonight (Tower 12) cool

Jorge Tavares

UmZero - SoftwareHouse
Brasil/Portugal

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin