Next Thread
Print Thread
Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize #36842 21 Nov 23 09:36 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Good day -

That basically explains it. I am working on the new GUI that employs button style panels (tho dont think thats the culprit necessarily). If I minimize ATE then maximize it, i lose the tabx control and everything contained in it. If i drag a corner to resize ATE then the tabx reappears with all its contained objects. Maybe its because i have rendered something outside of some ATE scope? Not sure what would help ID the problem, i could send a screen dump if that would be a good start - or if this sounds like an aha question let me know what I did wrong!

TIA

Re: Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize [Re: Frank] #36843 21 Nov 23 10:28 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
Good timing frown

If there's an aha moment here, it's that it never fails that within hours of posting an entire set of updates someone will report a problem like this, one that has probably been lurking for ages!

The good news, if there is any, is that I may have reproduced it here using the TSTTABX[908,22] sample program. It's rather intermittent here though, and I haven't been able to determine if there's a connection to a version or particular configuration. But I may have enough to investigate with. It's probably a timing issue that can be solved by taking more charge of the refresh logic (rather than just letting the various controls work it out amongst themselves, which is usually the way it's done.)

Re: Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize [Re: Frank] #36844 22 Nov 23 01:53 AM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
A-HA indeed! crazy Never fails i am sure. It is curious since I do use tabx all throughout our application and never experienced this anamoly. Perhaps it is associated with style=66? If sending a dump will help let me know.

Re: Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize [Re: Frank] #36845 22 Nov 23 02:16 AM
J
Online Content
J
In the process of trying to debug this I've run into a related issue with the TABX misbehaving on maximization, that seems to have been there for many years, but it's intermittent and seems connected with styles and other controls in a way that I haven't been able to pin down. So I'm not sure we're even looking at the same issue. I did spend a couple of hours reviewing the resizing code, but it all looks right to me, and my various attempts to strong-arm it haven't been successful. (It does seem like that control has a mind of its own when it comes to redrawing itself.)

But to avoid wasting a lot of time on a red herring, it probably would be helpful to be able to reproduce your screen layout, or at least the details of the TABX configuration. A screen dump and pictures might go part way, but even better would be a small example that boiled it down to its essence. In the meantime, tomorrow I'll experiment with style 66.

Re: Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize [Re: Frank] #36846 22 Nov 23 05:11 AM
J
Online Content
J
I discovered that the resizing problem that I'm able to reproduce here is purely tied to the MBST_SAVRES feature. If you're using that feature, try turning it off to see if that fixes it. (Fortunately, although it's an optimization, it doesn't otherwise change your code since it still has to deal with the case were the panel you're switching to hasn't previously been saved, so it's a pretty painless workaround.)

Re: Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize [Re: Frank] #36847 22 Nov 23 03:19 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Sorry to say i am not using the "SAVRES" option. Attaching a zip version of the screen dump (only way to bypass checkpoint charlie).

Unfortunately this is pretty embedded into the database structure but I will try to gin up a standalone test if we get there.

Here is a snipped of the calling code but not sure much help here: ps I checked to see if u was using the CLIPCHILDREN option and it is not here.

Code
!----------------------------------------------------------------------------!
! New TABX Control
!
! Input Parameters:
!
! TAB'TEXT       Main TAB Pane Descriptions + exitcodes (see docs)
! TAB'SROW       Start Row
! TAB'SCOL       Start Col
! TAB'EROW       End Row
! TAB'ECOL       End Col
! TAB'PARENT     TAB control parent ID (0=ATE desktop)
!
! Output Parameters:
!
! TAB'ID         Main TAB control ID
!
!----------------------------------------------------------------------------!
CREATE'TABX:                                    ! [500]
        XCALL FILL,AUI$,""
        AUI'OPCODE=1                            ! Create
        AUI'TEXT=TAB'TEXT                       ! Defined in calling program
        AUI'TYPE=MBF_TAB                        ! Define TAB control
        AUI'STATE=MBST_ENABLE
        AUI'SROW=TAB'SROW : AUI'SCOL=TAB'SCOL
        AUI'EROW=TAB'EROW : AUI'ECOL=TAB'ECOL
        AUI'EROW=25     ! *** OVERRIDE
        AUI'PARENTID=TAB'PARENT
        AUI'CTYPE2=TAB'CTYPE2                           ! Forces new TABX control.
        IF NO'FLICKER=1 AUI'WINSTYLE=WS_CLIPCHILDREN    ! recommended by Jack to reduce Flicker but may muck up save/restore opera
        !
        XCALL AUI, "CONTROL", AUI'OPCODE, &
             AUI'CTLID, AUI'TEXT, AUI'STATE, &
             AUI'TYPE, AUI'CMD, AUI'FUNC, AUI'STATUS, &
             AUI'SROW, AUI'SCOL, AUI'EROW, AUI'ECOL, AUI'FGC, AUI'BGC, &
             AUI'FONTATTR, AUI'FONTSCALE, AUI'FONTFACE, &
             AUI'TOOLTIP, AUI'PARENTID, &
             AUI'WINCLASS, AUI'WINSTYLE, AUI'WINSTYLEX, AUI'CTYPE2
             !
        TAB'ID=AUI'CTLID
        PANEL=1
        NO'FLICKER=0
        !
        RETURN

Attached Files
tabx refresh issue.zip (1.8 KB, 7 downloads)
SHA1: 7acbe435f0589d23cf772f66d66eaa9eba7cd509
Re: Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize [Re: Frank] #36848 22 Nov 23 05:41 PM
J
Online Content
J
Ok, so I see you have a MBF2_DLGNOCAP dialog on the panel; perhaps that's the trigger factor. I'll see if I can put together my own test program to simulate yours. Unfortunately, you're not the only one for whom extra-sensory energy of a new release stimulates the urge to report long-repressed problems, pose new questions, etc., (or maybe it's the holiday-onset panic effect?). In any case, I don't know how much time I'll have to day to focus on this. But if not today, then perhaps over the weekend.

Re: Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize [Re: Frank] #36849 22 Nov 23 05:49 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Understood - there is no urgency here as this is still far away from any customer release - so enjoy some family time! Catch up with you after the turkey stupor has leveled off laugh

Re: Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize [Re: Frank] #36850 23 Nov 23 12:08 AM
J
Online Content
J
I've played with this some more and have narrowed down the version of the problem that I've been able to reproduce (in the TSTTABX program) to the one-step panel switch option. If I answer N to that question (and instead switch panels by first sending a CTLOP_CLR and then the CTLOP_PANE), then the resizing operations work as expected. After you sober up, can you confirm how you're switching panes? And whether TSTTABX works for you?

(I don't think the DLGNOCAP control has any effect on this issue, since TSTTABX has one of those on the 3rd panel and it seems to resize fine.)

Re: Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize [Re: Frank] #36851 29 Nov 23 09:03 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Apparently it tool me longer than expected to sober up! crazy Sorry for the delay as there were other post-holiday fires hotter than this one!

Ok i tested the new ashw32 flavor and sorry still no joy. I don't know if it helps any but this problem doesnt even involve selecting panels. If I simply draw the screen for the first time then minimize it and maximize it i lost the tabx control and everything in it. Oddly when I maximize it "looks" there for a split second, flashes and goes away. Sorry i didn't have the same luck with you using tsttabx as it seems to work here.

Guessing the next step is to put you in the drivers seat? Again, no rush Im sure we will get this ironed out before our new gui launch sometime 2028 laugh

Re: Problem with Screen refresh after Minimize [Re: Frank] #36852 29 Nov 23 11:15 PM
J
Online Content
J
Well, you're not as young as you used to be, so recovery may take longer!

But as for the next step, yep, that's probably the best approach. But I'm in no more of a hurry than you are, so whenever it's convenient.

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin