Next Thread
Print Thread
Calendar Control #37176 08 Mar 24 09:39 PM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Good Friday -

Just wondering if there was a better more modern looking calendar control available? This Windows 95 version is looking a bit long in the tooth laugh

This *is* a w11 box:

PS: ie something more like this... (existing control on left in case you were wondering!)

Attached Files Screenshot 2024-03-08 163545.pngCapture.JPG
Last edited by Frank; 08 Mar 24 09:46 PM.
Re: Calendar Control [Re: Frank] #37177 08 Mar 24 11:28 PM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
It's true that the standard Windows calendar control hasn't changed much over the years, but I thought you were trying to go back to the retro/modern minimal style?

I'm somewhat reluctant to try to find another control, partly because the existing one is part of the standard, and at least theoretically adjusts to the changing overall Window style / theme. There are other variations out there, but typically are part of some suite based on .Net or part of a web framework, making them difficult to integrate on their own, and probably subject to style disconnects as Windows evolves.

And if you really want flexibility, you could roll your own (although it would take a lot of work because there are so many individual parts to it, and partly because there's a lot of interactive functionality built in to the control).

There are a couple of attributes (mainly colors) that we could enable via CTLOP_CHG operations (see Calender control operations). For example setting the background color of the title...

[Linked Image]

Re: Calendar Control [Re: Frank] #37179 09 Mar 24 01:05 AM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Minimalist is good but at least current century minimalist! Ok ill byte, what does the current calendar do to adapt to the current windows style? It has been static for decades. With that being said, adding a bit of color to the title bar would be a nice improvement. And no, i do not wish to code my own calendar control!!!

Re: Calendar Control [Re: Frank] #37180 09 Mar 24 02:35 AM
J
Jack McGregor Online Content
Online Content
J
I can't really argue with you that the control appearance doesn't seem to have changed across versions of Windows. But it is under control of the Theme mechanism, meaning that Theme settings could affect it. (That's all opaque to us.)

I'm going to add the ability to set the colors in the next update. But you can get something similar to the version shown below by just disabling the theme for that control (by setting the MBF2_NOTHEME bit in the ctype2 parameter). Don't ask me why turning off Themes gives you automatic colors but apparently someone at Microsoft thought it was a good idea.

[Linked Image]

Re: Calendar Control [Re: Frank] #37181 09 Mar 24 04:42 AM
F
Frank Online Content OP
OP Online Content
F
Ill take it, thanks!

Moderated by  Jack McGregor, Ty Griffin